[comp.dcom.telecom] Information Needed on WITS and PREMISE

jlangri@relay.nswc.navy.mil (03/10/91)

Does anyone know what the acronym WITS stands for?  I've looked at
every list I've got including one posted to telecom back around the
end of January.  I've been told it is *believed to be* a telecom
acronym.

Also, can anyone tell me what PREMISE is?  I believe it is a software
package or something like that.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Langridge  |  jlangri@relay.nswc.navy.mil
Synetics Corp. |  King George VA.

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (03/12/91)

In article <telecom11.192.9@eecs.nwu.edu>, jlangri@relay.nswc.navy.mil
writes:

> Does anyone know what the acronym WITS stands for?  I've looked at
> every list I've got including one posted to telecom back around the
> end of January.  I've been told it is *believed to be* a telecom
> acronym.

I believe it stands for Wire Inventory Tracking System, a now-obsolete
data-processing system once used by the operating companies to keep
records of local loop connections.

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857