[comp.dcom.telecom] Domain Phone Number Service

carroll@ssc-vax.uucp (Jeff Carroll) (03/14/91)

In article <telecom11.197.4@eecs.nwu.edu> dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter)
writes:

> There was a request for Country/City code lists.  It would not be
> feasable to have such a thing online somewhere.  It would be too big.
> Consider that the list I have for the Netherlands contains about 1800
> entries.  (Yes, there are so many area codes in the Netherlands!)  The
> German list I have is still much larger.  And those are only two
> countries.

> What might be feasable is a list that given the country code and the
> area code returns an approximation of the area where the number points
> to.  In the Netherlands (as in Germany and many more European
> countries) the initial part of an area code gives a rough indication
> of the area involved.

	Well, how about a distributed directory service on Internet?
It seems that it would be feasible to tinker with DNS a little bit to
make it deal with area codes and place names rather than IP addresses
and domain-style names. Eventually something like this will be
required for the integrated digital network (as opposed to the
Integrated Digital Network) anyway - that is, someday an ISDN
connected subscriber will need to do PSTN-number to subscriber-name
translation, and presumably anybody still using TCP/IP at that point
will need to as well.

Or has the CCITT already solved this problem for us?

Followups to comp.protocols.misc.

Jeff Carroll     carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com