[comp.dcom.telecom] Headsets: What's Good?

jlangri@relay.nswc.navy.mil (03/14/91)

I'm looking at headsets for use on a help desk.  The only ones I'm
looking at presently is Plantronics.

I don't like VOX (always seems to chop the first syllable).  Does
anyone have any advice?  Are there better manufacturers?

varney@ihlpf.att.com (Al L Varney) (03/15/91)

In article <telecom11.202.14@eecs.nwu.edu> jlangri@relay.nswc.navy.mil
writes:

> I'm looking at headsets for use on a help desk.  The only ones I'm
> looking at presently is Plantronics.

> I don't like VOX (always seems to chop the first syllable).  Does
> anyone have any advice?  Are there better manufacturers?

Well, better is in the mind of the user ... but I've been happy with
the UNEX (not UNIX(tm)) Ventel headset.  They are at:

  UNEX  (A DYNATECH COMPANY)
  27 Industrial Ave.
  Chelmsford, MA  01824
  (508) 256-8222          <- their format, not mine :-)

Headsets available:
 Ventel I    Over-the-ear eartip unit
 Ventel II   Over-the-ear foam earbud
 Ventel III  One ear muff
 Ventel IV   Two ear muffs
 Ventel V    One or 2 ultralight ear muff (Walkman(tm) style)
              (I have 2 ears, so I use the 2-ear version)

 Microphones are noise-cancelling, left or right side.

 Headsets connect to:

   Operator/Supervisor Amplifier -- "traditional" 2-prong or modular plug

   Desk Amplifier -- connects phone to headset and handset, allows switching
                     between them during a call.

   Electronic Telephone Headset Amp. -- compatible with a range of non-carbon
                     handset phones, such as AT&T Merlin, 7303, etc. and
                     other vendors of telephones.

Al Varney, AT&T Network Systems, Lisle, IL