[comp.dcom.telecom] New Telephone Numbers for Amsterdam

dolf@idca.tds.philips.nl (Dolf Grunbauer) (03/05/91)

Hello Patrick,

Last weekend (on Sunday morning 3 March 1991), Amsterdam (in The
Netherlands) has had their six digit numbers changed into seven digit
numbers by prefixing the old number with a 6. The already existing
seven digit numbers are unchanged. With this change Amsterdam will
have enough free numbers available at least until the mid of the next
century. Amsterdam is now the third city in The Netherlands to have
seven digit numbers, the other two cities are: Rotterdam and Den Haag
(probably better known to you as The Hague).

Dolf Grunbauer  Tel: +31 55 433233 Internet dolf@idca.tds.philips.nl
Philips Information Systems        UUCP     ...!mcsun!philapd!dolf

john@equi.com (John J. Ackley) (03/10/91)

In article <telecom11.183.5@eecs.nwu.edu> dolf@idca.tds.philips.nl
(Dolf Grunbauer) writes:

> Last weekend (on Sunday morning 3 March 1991), Amsterdam (in The
> Netherlands) has had their six digit numbers changed into seven digit
> numbers by prefixing the old number with a 6. The already existing

Pat and group,

Is there a "best" source for a country/city code database?  Right now
we have a hodge-podge of data gathered from various sources, some with
questionable credentials.  The folks at Bellcore were happy to tell me
that they had no such list, and were unable to give any other sources.
This data is available, but I'm looking for a coordinated, definitive
set from one source, possibly available on a subscription basis.

Thanks for any info.

John Ackley <john@equi.com> // The usual disclaimer stuff

ropg@ooc.uva.nl (Rop Gonggrijp) (03/15/91)

dolf@idca.tds.philips.nl (Dolf Grunbauer) writes:

> Last weekend (on Sunday morning 3 March 1991), Amsterdam (in The
> Netherlands) has had their six digit numbers changed into seven digit
> numbers by prefixing the old number with a 6.

Well, not really. The 74XXXX exchange can still be called with and
without the 6. I would say it is at least a remarkable coincedence
that the PTT happens to have a lot of their lines on there (and KLM
rents 747 747).

Rop Gonggrijp (ropg@ooc.uva.nl)  Editor of  Hack-Tic (hack/phreak mag.)
Postbus 22953  (in DUTCH)  1100 DL  AMSTERDAM   tel: +31 20 6001480