[comp.dcom.telecom] 800/950 vs 10xxx

jdominey@bsga05.attmail.com (03/15/91)

In TELECOM Digest V11 #199, Ralph W. Hyre <rhyre@cinoss1.att.com>
writes:

> 950 and 800 (feature group B) access give me greater control over
> billing than 10XXX implementations, since I can enter an account #
> to bill the call to.

This is called "making a virtue of necessity."  Using 10xxx makes
billing to another account *optional*; 950/800 access *requires* the
user to input an account of some kind - even if it's the account that
belongs to the phone in use.

> Additionally, one of my 950-based carriers doesn't have the $.75
> surcharge for using the card - I just pay the per/minute rate.

This, on the other hand, is a real advantage - albeit not one that's
inherent in using 950/800 access.  Remember too that there are some
circumstances where you can avoid card surcharges from larger
carriers.  AT&T's Reach Out billing plan includes this as an option.

Jack Dominey   AT&T Commercial Marketing, Tucker GA
v:404-496-6925 AT&T Mail: !dominey

blake@pro-party.cts.com (Blake Farenthold) (03/16/91)

Barton.Bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) in discussing 10xxx access
points out with respect to call agrigators:

> If one flavor of screening simply disallowed ANYTHING on 10xxx access
> except 10xxx0+ bill elsewhere traffic, a hotel could allow 10xxx
> traffic without further understanding it because any attempt to bill
> to them, even 10xxx1+ would be blocked.

problem with a "simple" scheme to allow 10xxx0 access, you can make
international calls and the accounting software and blocking software
in cocots and hotels gags.  As I understand it some companies have been
burned by this and this is one of the arguments delaying universal
10xxx0 access. They have to keep checking digits after the zero and a
lot of older hardware just doesn't do it.

I make no comment abuyt the potential to take out revenge on your
favorite COCOT by trying this.

UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!blake
Internet: blake@pro-party.cts.com

Blake Farenthold         | Voice: 800/880-1890     |    MCI: BFARENTHOLD
1200 MBank North         |   Fax: 512/889-8686     |    CIS: 70070,521
Corpus Christi, TX 78471 |   BBS: 512/882-1899     |  GEnie: BLAKE