[comp.dcom.telecom] Debit Phone Cards in NZ

Ben_Kinchant@kcbbs.gen.nz (Ben Kinchant) (03/11/91)

Telecom New Zealand introduced "Card Phones" in early 1990 to most
parts of NZ.  These phones accept a debit type card, a "Phone Card"
which are available in NZ$5,10,20 and 50 denominations.

It costs NZ$0.20 per min for a local call from a card phone (US$0.12)
Toll calls from card phones are more expensive that from a home phone.

The public phones that were in use before the card phones would be
NZ$0.20 per *call*, but Telecom says that maintainance costs of the
public telephones are much higher, which are reflected in the rates
for card phones.

Ben Kinchant, Ben_Kinchant@kcbbs.gen.nz

stephen@corp.telecom.co.nz (Richard Stephen) (03/11/91)

In article <telecom11.191.6@eecs.nwu.edu> Ben_Kinchant@kcbbs.gen.nz
(Ben Kinchant) writes:

> Telecom New Zealand introduced "Card Phones" in early 1990 to most
> Toll calls from card phones are more expensive that from a home phone.

> ... but Telecom says that maintainance costs of the
> public telephones are much higher, which are reflected in the rates
> for card phones.

In my opinion the above comments are incomplete, partially inaccurate
and slightly emotive.

The facts as I understand them are that national toll calls made from
a public card phone are charged at the FULL RATE irrespective of the
time of day or day. The full rate charge is identical to the charge
applied to a call made from any other phone (eg domestic). There is no
additional charge levied just because it is a card-phone.

At the time, there was considerable public anguish about being levied
the full rate. Telecom countered that since the basic equipment,
including the pole and plastic housing cost a lot more than a simple
domestic phone installation, they considered that off-peak rates could
not be supported.

 From my Wellington Phone Directory:

Telecom NZ maintains a distance based national toll charging structure
whose rate varies according the time of day. There are 8 charging
steps A-I, with A being the smallest (closest distance outside the
free calling area) and I the furthest.

Rate structure:
Full Rate:      Mon-Fri 8am-Noon (FR)
Afternoon Rate: Mon-Fri Noon-6pm = approx 20% off FR
Economy Rate:   Mon-Fri 6pm-10pm; 7am-8am       }
                Sat,Sun & National Hol 7am-10pm }= 40% off FR
Night Rate:     Everyday 10pm-7am = approx 70% off FR

richard.

stephen@corp.telecom.co.nz (03/16/91)

Charlie Lear (clear@cavebbs.gen.nz) writes in response to my article:

> That, Sir, is absolute garbage. I find it absolutely appalling that
> someone concerned with corporate strategy within NZ Telecom would even
> think of posting that without making a token effort to verify
> "the facts" (as you understand them).

> "There is no additional charge levied just because it is a card-phone."

Agreed. Mea Culpa ! Its been a long time since I used a public phone,
simply because I haven't needed to. Yes, I too could have phoned the
operator to check first. Thankyou for the information.

richard.

These are my opinions entirely, and do not represent my employer in any
way whatsoever.

clear@cavebbs.gen.nz (03/16/91)

In article <telecom11.198.4@eecs.nwu.edu> Richard Stephen asserts:
(quoting Ben Kinchant)

>> Toll calls from card phones are more expensive that from a home phone.
>> ... but Telecom says that maintainance costs of the
>> public telephones are much higher, which are reflected in the rates
>> for card phones.

> In my opinion the above comments are incomplete, partially inaccurate
> and slightly emotive.

Au contraire. They are complete, accurate and impartial. In my
opinion.

> The facts as I understand them are that national toll calls made from
> a public card phone are charged at the FULL RATE irrespective of the
> time of day or day. The full rate charge is identical to the charge
> applied to a call made from any other phone (eg domestic). There is no
> additional charge levied just because it is a card-phone.

That, Sir, is absolute garbage. I find it absolutely appalling that
someone concerned with corporate strategy within NZ Telecom would even
think of posting that without making a token effort to verify "the
facts" (as you understand them).

You see, I happen to be one of the users of the NZ Telecom network.
And having blown my last $5.00 cash on a phone card to make an
emergency call from Auckland to Wellington (since there were no
old-fashioned coin phones anywhere) I can tell you that I was not
amused at being cut off three minutes and forty seconds into my call.

I just took the liberty of phoning the toll operator, who being a most
helpful and obliging sort, found the rates immediately.

Wellington-Auckland full rate:    76c/minute
    "        "     coin phone:    90c/minute
    "        "     card phone: $1.60/first minute, $1.20/min thereafter

"There is no additional charge levied just because it is a card-phone."

> At the time, there was considerable public anguish about being levied
> the full rate.

There is, Richard. At over 210% the nominal full rate (a staggering
701% of the night rate) you bet there is considerable anguish.

Especially among those who can't afford a private phone and are
dependent on callboxes to keep in touch. Just how many million is
Telecom spending in its current "cute-animals-on-TV" advertising
campaign again?  Perhaps if Telecom spent more on what people want and
less on propaganda we might all be a little happier with NZ Telecom's
service.

Charlie Lear  clear@cavebbs.gen.nz