[comp.dcom.telecom] Cellular Telephones on a Bicycle

KLUB@maristb.bitnet (Richard Budd) (03/06/91)

For the sixth year running, we are organizing this summer a bicycle
ride from Buffalo to New York City.  To allow members of the support
crew to communicate with each other, one of the organizers suggested
cellular telephones for each member of the crew.  We are interested in
answers to the following questions:

1) The telephones would only be needed for the duration of the bicycle
trip and due to budgetary constraints, we would prefer to either rent
them or accept a donation in exchange for promotion.  To whom should
we speak about renting cellular telephones for a ten day period (Radio
Shack, the cellular phone companies...)?

2) Two to three members of the support crew ride bicycles.  What would
be the set-up required to install a cellular telephone on a bicycle?

BTW, I've passed the BITNET address of TELECOM Digest over to the
Information Institute at the University of Warsaw so the system
administrators could communicate their local and wide area network
problems directly to the forum.  (Time to brush up on your Polish,
Pat:-})

Richard Budd | E-Mail: IBMers - rcbudd@rhqvm19.ibm VM Systems
Programmer   | All Others- klub@maristb.bitnet IBM - Sterling Forest, NY
Phone: (914) 578-3746

king@uunet.uu.net (Steven King) (03/09/91)

In article <telecom11.181.6@eecs.nwu.edu> KLUB@maristb.bitnet (Richard
Budd) writes:

> 1) The telephones would only be needed for the duration of the bicycle
> trip and due to budgetary constraints, we would prefer to either rent
> them or accept a donation in exchange for promotion.  To whom should
> we speak about renting cellular telephones for a ten day period (Radio
> Shack, the cellular phone companies...)?

I'd go to the cellular phone companies.  It's my guess that they'd
fall all over each other for the opportunity to brag, "Communications
provided by XYZ Cellphone Company", especially if the event gathers a
good deal of publicity.  You can also check the yellow pages for
"communications", "pagers", etc. to find companies that do business
renting phones.  This probably isn't a low-cost solution, though.
Remember, unless you can get the cellphone operating company to donate
airtime and setup fees, merely using cellphones as intensely as I
imagine you will be can add up to some serious money very quickly!

> 2) Two to three members of the support crew ride bicycles.  What would
> be the set-up required to install a cellular telephone on a bicycle?

My choice would be to get portable phones.  They're completely
self-contained including battery and antenna.  The setup needed would
be a small carrying pouch on the bike so the rider doesn't have to
hand-carry the fool thing.  Some sort of mounting device might also be
in order to allow one-handed dialing.  Most portables aren't very
convenient to hold and dial with the same hand.  Also, contact the
local cellphone companies and make sure you've got service all the way
along the route!  It would be bad to stake your communications on
cellphones only to find that some rural areas (if you're riding
through them) have little or no coverage.

All the standard disclaimers apply.

Steven King, Motorola Cellular  (...uunet!motcid!king)

sw@indetech.uucp (Steve Warner) (03/10/91)

In article <telecom11.181.6@eecs.nwu.edu> is written:

> 1) The telephones would only be needed for the duration of the bicycle
> trip and due to budgetary constraints, we would prefer to either rent
> them or accept a donation in exchange for promotion.  To whom should
> we speak about renting cellular telephones for a ten day period (Radio
> Shack, the cellular phone companies...)?

Many car rental agencies rent handheld cellular phones by the day.
They would require no installation.  The fees for such rental are kind
of high - perhaps they would give a discount however.

Hope this helps.

Steve Warner   -  Fremont, CA, USA  etc...
replies to:  sun!indetech!stables!sw    (forget what the header says)

[Moderator's Note:  A joke told to me by the local Radio Shack guy
today goes like this:  "If you need a temporary cell phone, rent one
from Radio Shack ... since when did Radio Shack *rent* phones, you
ask? ... they always did. You go in, buy a phone on your credit card,
use it that night and take it back the next day saying you changed
your mind and don't want it after all ... "   :)   PAT]

alans@hp-ptp.hp.com (Alan_Sanderson) (03/10/91)

Re Cellular Phone Rental:

National Car Rental makes cellular phones available for rental as an
option to the vehicle rental.  You might check with them to find out
what possibilities exist.

Alan Sanderson      Hewlett-Packard AMSO    alans@hp-ptp.HP.COM
US Snail:           1266 Kifer Rd. MS101S      MaBell: 408-746-5714
                    Sunnyvale, CA 94086        FAX:    408-746-5890
Disclaimer:  <Standard Disclaimer Applies>

zellich@stl-07sima.army.mil (Rich Zellich) (03/13/91)

Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to just use portable CB's?  Or do
you really expect everybody to be so spread out that they would be
beyond the range of a full-output CB unit?

njs@cpunk.watson.ibm.com (Nicholas J. Simicich) (03/16/91)

I mentioned this in email to the originator, but for the route they
want to travel, cellular phones are a really bad idea.  There will be
lots of dead spots where people will be cut off.  They would be better
off renting VHF radios or using CB's, as Rick Zellich suggested.
Besides, do they really want to dial a bunch of numbers and pay two
airtime fees every time the bike at the front of the pack wants to
call the bike at the back of the pack?  They won't have any broadcast
capability, either, so if the manager wants to broadcast to all of the
workers, it will mean a bunch of separate calls.

I think that they just want to key a mike and say who they are talking
to, and then talk.

Having cellular phones in the cars to call EMS or the police would be
a good idea.  But to use them for primary communication sounds really
bad.

Nick Simicich (NJS at WATSON, njs@ibm.com) ---SSI AOWI #3958, HSA #318

Allyn@uunet.uu.net (03/17/91)

This is in repsonse to the person who was thinking of using cellular
telephones for communications at a bike race.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned ham radio yet.  There are amateur
radio clubs that specialize in providing communications for public
events such as bike races.  Using radios, as opposed to cellular
telephones, has the advantage that all stations situated on the bike
route can hear each other.  This isn't practical on a cellular phone.
Of course cellular phones have the advantage of being able to make a
direct phone call without having to go through an "autopatch".

Probably the ideal would be to get a local ham club to provide primary
communications and then have a few cellular phones situated at
strategic places along the route.

Allyn Lai    kb6odf   allyn@cup.portal.com