[comp.dcom.telecom] Ring Detection IC Needed

lairdb@crash.cts.com (Laird P. Broadfield) (03/14/91)

Can somebody point me toward a ring-detection IC?  I've checked my
recent Harris, Dallas, and SS databooks, and I find lots of Call
Progress Detectors, but what I want is ring-detection.  Preferably for
more that one line per package (I'm thinking 10-20 lines into the
device, maybe even 25 and hook up directly to a 21X termination.)

Thanks!  (P.S.  Do the ICLID ICs coming out these days have a ring
indication line, or do they assume you've got a separate ring-detect
circuit?)

mcmahan@netcom.com (Dave Mc Mahan) (03/18/91)

In a previous article, lairdb@crash.cts.com (Laird P. Broadfield)
writes:

> Can somebody point me toward a ring-detection IC?  I've checked my
> recent Harris, Dallas, and SS databooks, and I find lots of Call
> Progress Detectors, but what I want is ring-detection.  Preferably for
> more that one line per package (I'm thinking 10-20 lines into the
> device, maybe even 25 and hook up directly to a 21X termination.)

Most of the ring detectors I have seen implement this function with an
opto-isolated circuit.  Basically, there is a large resistor in series
with the LED side of the optoisolator placed across the phone line.
The resistor is chosen to bleed minimal current from the line during
normal on-hook operation and while a voice is connected.  The value I
recall seeing is on the order of 40K or 50K ohms, but check with me
and I'll verify that.

I also seem to recall a DC blocking capacitor somewhere in there, but
it has been a while (actually two days, but it's been a TOUGH
weekend!! :-) since I looked at these things.  I have a couple of data
books that contain example circuits with these shown.  The output of
the opto-isolator is fed into a CPU that get interrupted on every ring
pulse and sets a flag saying that a ring is occuring.  When it stops
receiving the pulses after it gets them, it clears the flag.  You
could do the same thing in pure hardware using a retriggerable one-
shot.  If you want more info on various sources of example circuits,
e-mail me and I'll send you names of data books.

Dave McMahan    mcmahan@netcom.com
{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!mcmahan