[comp.dcom.telecom] Telecommunications Emergency in El Salvador

jym@mica.berkeley.edu (Jym Dyer) (03/16/91)

[From ACTIV-L]

> From: JASKE@bat.bates.edu
> Subject: Emergency Situation in El Salvador

              EMERGENCY SITUATION IN EL SALVADOR!!!

On Monday March 11 Salvadorean Telecommunications and Treasury
Ministry workers went on strike.  They are represented by the two
following unions (respectively) ASTEL and AGHEMA.

As of today, Tuesday March 12, all the work places have been occupied
by Treasury Police, well known as the the brutal political police of
El Salvador.

A most urgent situation is taking place in La Delera where 75 police
have surrounded a work site which has 25-30 striking workers inside.

At the moment this is all the information available.  More concrete
information will be posted as it arrives.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Call or telex the following numbers demanding:

     (1)  The demilitarization of the workplace
     (2)  Respect for the right of workers to strike

US Ambassador Walker: 011-503-267100 (voice)
                      011-503-20657 (telex)

National Police: 011-503-714422 (voice)
                 011-503-20459 (telex)

                            THANKS!!

Dennis G. Rears <drears@pica.army.mil> (03/19/91)

Jim Dywer writes:

> EMERGENCY SITUATION IN EL SALVADOR!!!

> On Monday March 11 Salvadorean Telecommunications and Treasury
> Ministry workers went on strike.  They are represented by the two
> following unions (respectively) ASTEL and AGHEMA.

> As of today, Tuesday March 12, all the work places have been occupied
> by Treasury Police, well known as the the brutal political police of

Well known by whom?

> El Salvador.

> WHAT YOU CAN DO:

> Call or telex the following numbers demanding:

>     (1)  The demilitarization of the workplace
>     (2)  Respect for the right of workers to strike
>
> followed by a list of numbers

   Why should we?  What business is it of ours (U.S.A)?  I presume the
Salvadorean Telecommunications and Treasury Ministry workers are
government employees.  Does the Salvadorean law give government
workers the right to strike?  American government workers areen't
allowed to strike. If not they are breaking the law and should be
treated as such.  Telephone service is a necessity and if the workers
are striking they potentialy could cause harm to the national
security.

   I am not advocating physical or illegal harm to the strikers, but
give us some more information.  Have the police actually done
anything? Is the strike legal?  What are the issues? Blindly calling
for actions without full knowledge of the situation is unconscionable.

   It is so typical of Americans to rush in and "save" people while
only superficially knowing why there are doing it in the first place.

Dennis

[Moderator's Note: When I ran the original message Monday morning, I
considered adding a disclaimer saying I was presenting it for the
telecom news involved; i.e. possible disruption of service, etc; but
decided to let it pass as submitted. This forum is of course not a
good one for discussion of US intervention in the affairs of other
nations, so maybe we should let the matter die gracefully. Thanks.  PAT]