[comp.dcom.telecom] Help Needed With NiCads on my Panasonic Cellular

srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu (Scott R. Myers) (03/14/91)

I have a Panasonic Transportable phone.  I know about the problems
associated with NiCads when you try to recharge them before they've
been totally depleted.  How can I discharge the battery beyond the
handset just cutting off.  I figured something like a light bulb and
some leads to connect to the battery terminals but that seems crude
and slow.  Any suggestions.  Thanks in advance...

Scott R. Myers
Snail:	26 Stiles Street	Phone:(908)352-4162
        Apartment 18
	Elizabeth, NJ 07208
Arpa:	srm@dimacs.rutgers.edu	Uucp: ..!dimacs!srm

dplatt@apple.com (Dave Platt) (03/16/91)

In article <telecom11.203.5@eecs.nwu.edu> Scott Meyers writes:

> I have a Panasonic Transportable phone.  I know about the problems
> associated with NiCads when you try to recharge them before they've
> been totally depleted.  How can I discharge the battery beyond the
> handset just cutting off.  I figured something like a light bulb and
> some leads to connect to the battery terminals but that seems crude
> and slow.  Any suggestions.  Thanks in advance...

What you've suggested is crude and slow ... and, if you're talking
about a typical NiCd battery pack, it can damage the cells.

The _only_ safe ways to discharge NiCd cells are either [a] one at a
time, or [b] with the cells connected in parallel.  In either case, a
light bulb or a resistor does a fine job.  This is easy to do if you
have single 1.2-volt cells (e.g. AA or C or D size); you can home-brew
up a discharging fixture with a battery holder, light, and resistor
from Radio Shack.

Discharging NiCd cells that are connected in series (e.g. when they
are wired up in a battery pack) is a BAD idea.  The reason is that
it's quite common for one cell in the pack to have slightly less
capacity than another (manufacturing differences, etc.).  If you try
to discharge the battery all the way to zero, the weakest cell will
reach zero volts while the other cells are still "live".  As the
remaining cells continue to discharge, the current will be flowing
through the dead cell ... in effect, trying to "charge" it in reverse
(as if you'd put the cell into a charger backwards).

This will damage the cell ... it may lose some of its ability to store
electricity, and/or develop an internal short.  Because the cell has
been weakened, it will run down even sooner the next time you use it
 ...  and if you then attempt to drain the whole battery, you'll damage
the weakened cell even sooner.  Eventually the cell may short itself
completely, and your battery pack's output will be 1.2 volts below
what it should be ... your phone will probably reject it.

It's true that some NiCd cells have been shown to exhibit a "memory"
effect, if you repeatedly discharge them to an identical point and
then recharge them.  I've heard that modern NiCd batteries have pretty
much eliminated the memory effect.  In real-world use, the memory
effect is likely to do much less damage to the cells in your battery
than over-discharging them will.

NiCd cells have a very flat voltage output ... they deliver very close
to 1.2 volts until they've almost completely discharged, at which
point the voltage drops off very rapidly.  This is unlike the behavior
of lead-acid, carbon-zinc, and alkaline batteries, whose output
voltages drop off more gradually and smoothly as they discharge.

Well-designed NiCd-powered equipment will detect the voltage dropoff,
and will shut down immediately to avoid over-discharging the cells and
damaging the battery pack.  So, your best bet is probably to keep a
spare well-charged NiCd battery with your phone.  When the phone
reports "Low battery" and shuts down, it means that the battery you've
been using has only about 5% of its capacity left and should _not_ be
discharged further.  You can then swap in the new battery, and
recharge the old one without worrying about the memory effect.

Dave Platt    VOICE: (415) 813-8917    UUCP: ...apple!ntg!dplatt
USNAIL: New Technologies Group Inc. 2468 Embarcardero Way, Palo Alto CA 94303

bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (03/17/91)

In article <telecom11.207.6@eecs.nwu.edu>, ntg!dplatt@apple.com (Dave
Platt) writes:

> In article <telecom11.203.5@eecs.nwu.edu> Scott Meyers writes:

>> handset just cutting off.  I figured something like a light bulb and
>> some leads to connect to the battery terminals but that seems crude
>> and slow.  Any suggestions.  Thanks in advance...

> What you've suggested is crude and slow ... and, if you're talking
> about a typical NiCd battery pack, it can damage the cells.

Somewhere I ran into a reference to a special charging circuit that
obviates the need for full discharge to prevent shallow discharge
memory.

This charger also recharged VERY fast from whatever state the battery
was in and there was something about high current short pulses and
blowing away whiskers. A custom module was needed for each battery
size to 'tune' the charger's action properly.

It sounded like a wonderful device, but was several hunderd dollars.

Some HAM, maybe Pennsylvania area??, was making them.

Does anyone know if this sort of charger really works, and if there is
a more affordable universal one with built in ability to do any size
battery? Perhaps one is now mass produced, and 'hand built' prices can
be avoided.

jgd@gatech.edu (John G. DeArmond) (03/19/91)

> handset just cutting off.  I figured something like a light bulb and
> some leads to connect to the battery terminals but that seems crude
> and slow.  Any suggestions.  Thanks in advance...

I missed the first part of this thread but since it is apparent by the
title that we're discussing Panasonic portable batteries, a slight
misconception needs to be corrected.

The battery in the the old style Panasonic portable (and I believe in
the new style also) is NOT a NiCad battery.  It is a Gell-cell-type
lead-acid battery, as is the same battery used in the Panasonic
Cam-corders.  Using a Ni-cad-style charge cycle and/or deep
discharging these batteries will RUIN them, as I found out by
experience.  I smoked my first battery in a few weeks; the second has
lasted several years.

The way to make these batteries last is exactly the same technique you
use to preserve ordinary car batteries.  Store them charged, maintain
a trickle charge whenever possible and never deep discharge. There IS
a reason why the Panasonic phone dumps you so fast when the battery is
going down.

John De Armond, WD4OQC       Rapid Deployment System, Inc.
Marietta, Ga                 {emory,uunet}!rsiatl!jgd

droid@uunet.uu.net (Marty Brenneis) (03/20/91)

bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) writes:

> Somewhere I ran into a reference to a special charging circuit that
> obviates the need for full discharge to prevent shallow discharge
> memory.

> This charger also recharged VERY fast from whatever state the battery
> was in and there was something about high current short pulses and
> blowing away whiskers. A custom module was needed for each battery
> size to 'tune' the charger's action properly.

This sounds like a "Negative Delta V" charger from Alexander Battery
Company.  They make a line of rapid chargers that monitors the battery
voltage while charging it. It is not as harsh as a timed charge or a
simple voltage sensitive charger. For more details see below.

They can be aquired from Alexander Battery in San Diego, CA.  Tha
phone number is 800-327-0814 in CA and 800-421-1108 elsewhere.  I
always talk to Pat Huberty there, he is a cool guy. Tell him Marty
from ILM sent you.

Here is how it works for you technoids:

The charger pushes a high current into the battery at the start. It
does this for a minute or so. It then switches in a small load and
measures the voltage. It keeps pushing hard and stopping to measure
the progress until it gets to the proper terminal voltage for that
cell size. It then switches to a trickle mode to maintain that. The
trick here is the charger is measuring the battery condition rather
than charging until it heats up to 41 degrees C like most rapid
chargers. It won't overheat the cells and cook the chemicals. This
translates into more charge/discharge cycles.  The drawback is the
battery must be directly connected to the charger, you can't use the
regular charge contacts. They have holders that take the battery and
charge thru the output contacts.

The cost of these is around $125 for a single unit charger.

Have fun!

Marty the Droid   Industrial Magician