[comp.dcom.telecom] COCOTs Charging for 800 Calls

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (03/20/91)

Someone writes:

> I was placing a call from a pay phone the other day and noticed that
> it had no identifying phone number.  It also charged $0.50 for 1-800
> calls.

> So I called up the operator (I think from Payline communications) and
> complained to her.  She told me that it was legal for privately owned
> pay phones to charge for 1-800 calls. Was she right?

> [Moderator's Note: If such charges are legal, they should be billed to
> the recipient of the 800 call. That person has, after all, agreed to
> pay the charges associated with connecting the caller to him.  I
> really do not think they are legal however, but I'm not sure.  PAT]

Until last August, it was legal in California for COCOTs to charge at
most 10 cents for a call to an 800 number.  Interestingly, not many
COCOTs charged this, but there were some.  It was definately a cash
deposit made by the caller.

Steve Forrette, forrette@cory.berkeley.edu