[comp.dcom.telecom] Dial "0" for Mickey Mouse

PCOEN@drew.bitnet (Paul Coen) (03/18/91)

Well, myself and eight friends just came back from a spring break
camping trip -- we spent four days at Walt Disney World.  One of the
things that we played with was the payphones, naturally.

They seem to be ITT units, very similar to the "standard" Bell
payphones, with the addition of a credit card slot located on the
mounting plastic for the keypad (under the keys).

They are clearly marked as belonging to "Vista Telephone" or something
to that effect; based on the "Vista" in the name, as well as the
picture of Mickey Mouse (which did NOT inspire confidence -- I was
expecting to get an operator with a Mickey voice) on the information
card.

The 1+ and 0+ service defaults to AT&T.  I never had an occasion to
make a local call, so I couldn't say.  10xxx codes work (and they did
with the four or so other COCOT companies whose phones I used during the
trip).

By the way, there are two AT&T public phones at EPCOT (one of the
theme parks).  They are both located in the AT&T-sponsored part of the
"Communicore East" building, along with the games that allow you to
pretend to be a network coordinator on AT&T's network.

One phone is one of those fancy AT&T do-dads with the credit card
slot, a green LCD-type screen, and the "Next call" button, which
allows you to make another call on the same credit card without having
to re-enter it.

The other is in a booth, on the opposite side of the exit door from
the "fancy" phone.  It's in a large, fairly soundproof booth, and has
a speakerphone that allows families to call relatives at home.

I have no idea about the local calling capacity of these two beasties.
I just thought it was interesting that these two phones exist in the
middle of Mickey Mouse's COCOT territory.

By the way, the Spaceship Earth ride sponsored by AT&T has a bunch of
mistakes in it.  One gave credit to Europeans for first inventing the
printing press, which isn't correct.  The second was spotted by an art
historian friend of mine who pointed out that they show Michaelangelo
painting some figures on the Sistene Chapel -- including clothes.  The
clothes were added by a later artist.

Much more sinister was the VERY subtle propaganda thrown in by AT&T
and the other corporate sponsors (GM was the worst), under the guise
of education.  Walt must be spinning in his grave.

   The preceeding may not even be my opinions, never mind Drew U.'s
Paul Coen         Academic Computer Center        Drew University

goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein) (03/19/91)

In article <telecom11.214.2@eecs.nwu.edu>, PCOEN@drew.bitnet (Paul
Coen) writes:

> They are clearly marked as belonging to "Vista Telephone" or something
> to that effect; based on the "Vista" in the name, as well as the
> picture of Mickey Mouse (which did NOT inspire confidence -- I was
> expecting to get an operator with a Mickey voice) on the information
> card.

> The 1+ and 0+ service defaults to AT&T. ...
> I just thought it was interesting that these two phones exist in the
> middle of Mickey Mouse's COCOT territory.

So where's the COCOT?

The local telephone operating company in Lake Buena Vista, Florida is
Vista-United Telephone, a joint venture of Walt Disney Co. and United
Telecom, the same folks who own Sprint and a bunch of local telcos in
various outbacks.  The Mickey Mouse payphones are plain old local
telco units, NOT COCOTS!

Y'see, back when WDW was being created, the swamps west of Kissimee
were unpopulated and no telco served them.  So Disney created a
telephone company subsidiary and got certificated to serve the area,
which they named after, I think, a place in Anaheim (LBV).  They sold
half to United, which no doubt added some expertise.  It's a fully
modern operation with two COs, optical fiber, etc.  And given the
growth in the area, it has quite a few phones in its territory.
(Smart move!)

Fred R. Goldstein      Digital Equipment Corp.   Littleton MA
goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com           voice: +1 508 486 7388

Do you think anyone else on the planet would share my opinions, let
alone a multi-billion dollar corporation?

oberman@ptavv.llnl.gov (03/19/91)

Coen) writes:

> Much more sinister was the VERY subtle propaganda thrown in by AT&T
> and the other corporate sponsors (GM was the worst), under the guise
> of education.  Walt must be spinning in his grave.

First, Vista Telephone is the LEC for Disney world, so the phones are
NOT COCOTs. Disney World is a politically independent entity in
Florida and not responsible to the county or any other political
sub-division of the state.  Like many communities, they have a private
phone company.

Second, I doubt Walt would ber too concerned. He had no problem with
the idea of turning a profit and Disneyland had similar corporate
sponsorship setups long before he died. I remeber the Monsanto
Chemical and AT&T setups in Tomorrowland back in 1962 quite well.

R. Kevin Oberman    Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov             (415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my
typing and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

linneweh@uunet.uu.net (Louis Linneweh) (03/21/91)

goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com (Fred R. Goldstein) writes:

> Y'see, back when WDW was being created, the swamps west of Kissimee
> were unpopulated and no telco served them.  So Disney created a
> telephone company subsidiary and got certificated to serve the area,
> which they named after, I think, a place in Anaheim (LBV).  They sold
> half to United, which no doubt added some expertise.  It's a fully
> modern operation with two COs, optical fiber, etc.  And given the
> growth in the area, it has quite a few phones in its territory.
> (Smart move!)

It is my understanding, via some traveling telepony salesman stories
from a co-worker, that a small independent telco was licensed to serve
the area that was to become Walt Disney World.  WDW gave them a
staggering list of requirements which would have resulted in the
independent growing by several orders of magnitude, and the capital
required was not forthcoming.  WDW was more tham happy to buy them out
to insure first class telephone service, and formed the joint venture
with United.

I believe the former owner (a one family operation?) got a good
dollar, but not a goldmine business!  Does anyone out there know the
whole story?

linneweh@uunet.uu.net (Louis Linneweh) (03/21/91)

In TELECOM Digest Volume 11, Issue 223, Message 1 of 9 <goldstein@delni.
enet.dec.com> (Fred R. Goldstein) writes:

> Y'see, back when WDW was being created, the swamps west of Kissimee
> were unpopulated and no telco served them.  So Disney created a
> telephone company subsidiary and got certificated to serve the area,
> which they named after, I think, a place in Anaheim (LBV).  They sold
> half to United, which no doubt added some expertise.  It's a fully
> modern operation with two COs, optical fiber, etc.  And given the
> growth in the area, it has quite a few phones in its territory.
> (Smart move!)

It is my understanding, via some traveling telephony salesman stories