[comp.dcom.telecom] IBT Requires TouchTone Charge

dunne@uunet.uu.net (Jim E. Dunne) (03/19/91)

[Moderator's Note:  Illinois Bell gives *70 for free.  PAT]

(regarding Call Waiting disabling)

Well, as of this month, Illinois Bell is asking me to pay for the
TouchTone service I had been getting for free.  I got one of those
carbon-paper envelopes saying 'we'll disconnect the following services
unless you agree to the charges listed', and the only applicable one
for me was tone.  Oh well, $0.73/month (plus taxes of course!) isn't
too bad for the ability to dial with my computer and the like.  At
least they included a "Business Reply Mail" envelope...

Jim Dunne                 Motorola Cellular        ...uunet!motcid!dunne

[Moderator's Note: So the auditor's office out in Harvey, IL finally
caught up with you, eh?  With the ESS echanges, they are smart that
way, and very little gets past them now.   PAT]

robert@uunet.uu.net> (03/21/91)

motcid!void!dunne@uunet.uu.net (Jim E. Dunne) writes:

> [Moderator's Note:  Illinois Bell gives *70 for free.  PAT]

(regarding Call Waiting disabling)

> Well, as of this month, Illinois Bell is asking me to pay for the
> TouchTone service I had been getting for free.
> [text deleted]
> Oh well, $0.73/month (plus taxes of course!) isn't
> too bad for the ability to dial with my computer and the like.  At
> least they included a "Business Reply Mail" envelope...

I think most Hayes compatible modems will support pulse dialing.  And
can even switch to tone later for entering calling card numbers.  I do
this all the time.  I don't pay for TouchTone service, but my modem
pulse dials the number then tone dials the calling card number.

And my phones are either tone/pulse switchable or BOTH tone and pulse
(I have a 2500 deskset I modified with a rotary dial sitting next to
it and wires running into the case; looks like something out of the
movie Brazil!).

Robert Oliver		      Rabbit
Software Corp.	              215 993-1152
7 Great Valley Parkway East   Malvern, PA 19355
robert@hutch.Rabbit.COM       ...!uunet!cbmvax!hutch!robert