[comp.dcom.telecom] Home Telephone Tap Detector

8156boydk@vmsd.csd.mu.edu (Kevin Boyd) (03/10/91)

In my latest issue of the Hammacher Schlemmer catalog, there is a
device called the "Home Telephone Tap Detector".  It's description
really sounds too good to be true, but Hammacher Schlemmer is a very
old (founded in 1848) and reputable company.

It is described as follows:

HOME TELEPHONE TAP DETECTOR: Used by law enforcement agencies around
the world, this home telephone tap detector detects and defeats
virtually all tap systems.  It employs four individual detection
systems to detect low and high impedance taps, wireless bugs, off-hook
extensions and automatic tape recorders.  Mode one scans the line for
any low impedance taps or off-hook extensions and, if any are found,
an indicator light goes out and your phone conversation is
automatically muted.  Mode two scans the radio spectrum for any
operating wireless taps within or in the vicinity of your telephone,
then automatically switches to mode three which actually deactivates
any taps or tape recorders.  Mode four nullifies any transmission
bugs.  Metal unit is RJ-11 compatible and can be connected in seconds.
Comes with an impact resistant carrying case, line jack cord and one
9-volt battery.  7/8"H x 3"W x 5 1/2"L.(.6lb.)  35664X..... $199.95

                         -------

No manufacturer is listed.  Any opinions...  Is this too good to be
true?  (For anyone not familiar with Hammacher Schlemmer, they are a
rather upscale mail order company that sells everything from trench
coats to fax machines.)

Standard Financial Interest Disclaimer.

Regards,

Kevin Boyd                            | BITNET    8156boydk@MUCSD.BITNET
Marquette University                  | INTERNET  8156boydk@VMSD.CSD.MU.EDU
Milwaukee, WI, U.S.A.                 | Phone     (414)223-4873
Broadcasting and Electronic Media &   | FAX       (414)288-3300
Computer Services Division            | "All views expressed are my own..."

carroll@ssc-vax.uucp (Jeff Carroll) (03/15/91)

In article <telecom11.193.1@eecs.nwu.edu> Kevin Boyd <8156boydk@vmsd.
csd.mu.edu writes:

> HOME TELEPHONE TAP DETECTOR: Used by law enforcement agencies around
> the world, this home telephone tap detector detects and defeats
> virtually all tap systems.  It employs four individual detection
> systems to detect low and high impedance taps, wireless bugs, off-hook
> extensions and automatic tape recorders.  Mode one scans the line for
> any low impedance taps or off-hook extensions and, if any are found,
> an indicator light goes out and your phone conversation is
> automatically muted.  Mode two scans the radio spectrum for any
> operating wireless taps within or in the vicinity of your telephone,
> then automatically switches to mode three which actually deactivates
> any taps or tape recorders.  Mode four nullifies any transmission
> bugs.  Metal unit is RJ-11 compatible and can be connected in seconds.

	Mode one is cake to anyone familiar with Ohm's Law. Mode two
sounds like the "sing-around" method of detecting wireless bugs, which
I remember reading about some time ago somewhere (if I can remember
where, I'll post - Gordon Liddy's "Will", maybe?)

	Modes three and four sound like either b___sh__ or a method of
defeating particular well-known bug designs. I can't imagine any
general way to provide the functionality described.

	Opinions? Well, IMHO, you could probably duplicate the
functionality of modes one and two for $25 worth of parts and an
afternoon at the library. As for modes three and four, I'd ask for a
demonstration...

Jeff Carroll  carroll@ssc-vax.boeing.com

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (03/21/91)

In article <telecom11.193.1@eecs.nwu.edu> 8156boydk@vmsd.csd.mu.edu
(Kevin Boyd) writes:

> In my latest issue of the Hammacher Schlemmer catalog, there is a
> device called the "Home Telephone Tap Detector".  It's description
> really sounds too good to be true, but Hammacher Schlemmer is a very
> old (founded in 1848) and reputable company.

	Don't forget the old saying that if it sounds too good to be
true, it *is* too good to be true.

> HOME TELEPHONE TAP DETECTOR: Used by law enforcement agencies around
> the world, this home telephone tap detector detects and defeats
> virtually all tap systems.

	"Law enforcement agencies around the world", eh?  I wonder if
these are agencies which enforce Barnum's Law ("There's a sucker born
every minute.").

> It employs four individual detection systems to detect low and
> high impedance taps, wireless bugs, off-hook extensions and
> automatic tape recorders.

	What, no capability to detect "medium impedance" taps?

> Mode one scans the line for
> any low impedance taps or off-hook extensions and, if any are found,
> an indicator light goes out and your phone conversation is
> automatically muted.  Mode two scans the radio spectrum for any
> operating wireless taps within or in the vicinity of your telephone,
> then automatically switches to mode three which actually deactivates
> any taps or tape recorders.  Mode four nullifies any transmission
> bugs.  Metal unit is RJ-11 compatible and can be connected in seconds.
> Comes with an impact resistant carrying case, line jack cord and one
> 9-volt battery.  7/8"H x 3"W x 5 1/2"L.(.6lb.)  35664X..... $199.95

	"Mode one" is reminiscent of the screw-in handset transmitter
replacements sold under such tradenames as "Eavesdropper Stopper".  A
voltage comparator senses any off-hook voltage below an adjustable
threshhold and assumes that such a reduction is the result of parallel
DC resistance from an off-hook extension telephone.  Unlike the
handset device, it would appear that this gadget operates a relay to
mute the associated telephone set.

	"Mode two" sounds like a broadband RF detector using a simple
diode feeding a high-gain amplifier and comparator circuit.  Detection
of RF above such a threshhold probably operates the same muting relay
used for "mode one".  I'd bet money that this gadget doesn't have the
sensitivity to detect a one watt VHF transmitter just 100 feet away.
Does anyone think that a perpetrator actually planting an RF
transmitter is going to be dumb enough to place it right next to the
telephone set?

	"Mode three" sounds like the condition when "mode two"
operates the muting relay.  "Mode four" sounds like "mode three".
Well, I guess four "modes" sounds better than two "modes".

	"Nullifies any transmission bugs", indeed!  I wonder if the
humongous amount of energy available from the nine-volt battery is
used to generate high power RF pulses that will destroy the offending
transmitter?

	I'm also truly impressed with the advanced technology that has
permitted this sophisticated unit to be built in a case the size of a
3x5 card and less than one inch thick.  The nine volt battery and two
RJ-11 jacks will occupy 1/4 of that volume alone!

	Moi, sarcastic?  Why, perish the thought! :-)

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231       {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635   [note: ub=acsu.buffalo.edu] uunet!/      \aerion!larry