[comp.dcom.telecom] Maestro Phones From Northern Telecom

judice@sulaco.enet.dec.com (Louis J. Judice 11-Mar-1991 1401) (03/12/91)

Thanks to everyone for the information on Maestro. I did some checking
on my own and found that there are two versions, the Maestro and
Maestro 1000.  The 1000 has CLASS Message Waiting capability. When
Bell Atlantic implements CLASS Message Waiting across the region, the
ANSWER*CALL voicemail service will illuminate a message waiting lamp
on your home sets. Bell Atlantic Business Systems sells sets from
Eagle Telephonics that already implement the Class Message Waiting.

If you're interested, the following numbers will help (and avoid YOU
having to call six zillion 800 #'s for information!)

Bell Atlantic ANSWER*CALL Marketing:	800-321-7176
Bell Atlantic Business Systems:		800-523-0552 (No Maestro 1000's yet)
Greybar Electronics			908-249-4300 (NT Distributor in NJ)

I'm not employed by any of the above, but at least they all seem to
have some information on this topic!

Lou Judice   Digital Equipment Corp   908-562-4103

adf@aficom.ocunix.on.ca (Andrew Farmer) (03/13/91)

> [Moderator's Note: On the subject of 'unknown' calls, someone at IBT
> said to me they were 'thinking about' identifying every call to the
> extent known. For example, a call arrives inter-LATA from Los Angeles.
> They seem to be able to pick up some things but not others, so the
> display box in those cases would say something like 'From 213', or
> possibly 213-000-0000 or similar. I think that would be a welcome
> addition to Caller ID instead of just saying 'unknown'.

Bell Canada returns the string "Long Distance" for all LD calls and
"Unknown Number" for calls from local/non-displayable numbers.  The
Maestro phone, however, doesn't store the "Long Distance" string -- it
just stores them as "Unknown".

If the Maestro at least let us know it was LD we could perhaps make
some educated guesses at who it might be, when we're paging through
the list of callers.

I've had a Maestro for about a year now and I agree that it is an
excellent phone.

There are two nice features that were not mentioned in Stephen
Fleming's posting.

First, there is the Call Forwarding light.  If you use the first two
softkeys to define call forwarding on/off, a light will go on as soon
as you forward the line and remain on until you cancel the forwarding.
I often used to forget to cancel the forwading, but the Maestro now
saves me from my mental lapses.

The other nice feature is the internal clock.  The date and time is
automatically reset everytime a 'displayable' call comes in.  It
simply grabs the date and time information that is passed along the
line with all the other caller ID information.  It's nice to know that
the stored times of incoming calls will still be correct, even after a
power failure.

There are, however, a couple of flaws in the Maestro's design.  One is
that it will only store the last fifteen numbers, which I find is an
unreasonably low number.  Also, it will not store the number if
another extention picks up the line, which means that if the answering
maching takes the call, I won't know the number of the caller.

Andrew Farmer                         |  AFI Communications
Internet: adf@aficom.ocunix.on.ca     |  P.O.Box 11087, Stn H
UUCP:     ...!latour!aficom!adf       |  Nepean, Ontario
FidoNet:  Andrew Farmer on 1:163/115  |  K2H 7T8  Canada

443114@acadvm1.uottawa.ca (Eric Skinner) (03/16/91)

In TELECOM Digest Volume 11, Issue 199, Andrew Farmer <afd@aficom.
ocunix.on.ca> writes:

> Bell Canada returns the string "Long Distance" for all LD calls and
> "Unknown Number" for calls from local/non-displayable numbers.  The
> Maestro phone, however, doesn't store the "Long Distance" string -- it
> just stores them as "Unknown".

Just the other day I received a collect call from a local payphone.  I
would have expected it to display "Unknown" as the call was placed
through the operator, but instead, the display was "Long Distance."
Go figure.

About a week ago I spoke with someone at Bell Canada customer service
about the fact that Caller*ID (here, at least) displays the actual
originating phone number, instead of the billing phone number (ie. it
might display any of a company's actual trunk numbers).  She recorded
my complaint, and indicated that "changes" to Caller*ID's
implementation were forthcoming in June, but would not give me any
further details.

Eric Skinner                                443114@acadvm1.uottawa.ca
University of Ottawa                                  +1 613 230 0261

[Moderator's Note: Probably the reason it said 'long distance' was
because the payphone was a COCOT, and the Alternate Operater
Disservice involved in handling the collect call was not really an
Operator, and they splashed the call via DDD from some other location.
Your telco saw it coming in from another LATA as just a regular call.  PAT]

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 16-Mar-1991 0520) (03/16/91)

> Just the other day I received a collect call from a local payphone.  I
> would have expected it to display "Unknown" as the call was placed
> through the operator, but instead, the display was "Long Distance."
> Go figure.

> [Moderator's Note: Probably the reason it said 'long distance' was
> because the payphone was a COCOT, and the Alternate Operater
> Disservice involved in handling the collect call was not really an
> Operator, and they splashed the call via DDD from some other location.

Remember, though, that this happened in Canada, where they do not yet
have COCOTs, AOSs, or LATAs.

It's really very simple.  The Bell Canada Operator Services System is
connected to the network via the toll switch, even when handling local
calls.

john

[Moderator's Note: You're correct. Canada remains relatively
unpolluted where telecom is concerned as of yet.   PAT]

443114@acadvm1.uottawa.ca (Eric Skinner) (03/17/91)

(Collect call from payphone caused erroneous message on Call*ID box.)

> [Moderator's Note: Probably the reason it said 'long distance' was
> because the payphone was a COCOT, and the Alternate Operater
> Disservice involved in handling the collect call was not really an
> Operator, and they splashed the call via DDD from some other location.
> Your telco saw it coming in from another LATA as just a regular call.  PAT]

Impossible.  No COCOTs in Bell Canada territory (yet -- knock wood.)
Interestingly, operators here still identify themselves as "Bell
Operator."

Eric Skinner                      443114@acadvm1.uottawa.ca
University of Ottawa                         Ottawa, Canada

Andrew Farmer <adf@aficom.ocunix.on.ca> (03/18/91)

443114@acadvm1.uottawa.ca (Eric Skinner) writes:

> [Moderator's Note: Probably the reason it said 'long distance' was
> because the payphone was a COCOT

Bell Canada still maintains a monopoly on phone service in Ontario and
Quebec, thus we don't have COCOTs up here.  My guess is that any
'collect' call will trigger the "Long Distance" display (since most of
them would be).

grayt@uunet.uu.net (Tom Gray) (03/21/91)

ocunix.on.ca> writes:

> Bell Canada returns the string "Long Distance" for all LD calls and
> "Unknown Number" for calls from local/non-displayable numbers.  The
> Maestro phone, however, doesn't store the "Long Distance" string -- it
> just stores them as "Unknown".

This isn't universal yet. I receive long distance calls with both the
Long Distance and Unknown displays. The dispaly seem to be consistent
for the city calling.

I agree with the people who complain that calls from companies display
the actual trunk number instead of the billing number.  This prevents
Call Blocking from defeating telemarketers.  I have come home and seen
a call from an obvious telemarketer I blocked the number but that
evening received a call from a telemarketer with an adjacent number to
the one I blocked.  Call Blocking is marvelous. I just wish it could
be improved by using only one number for a company.

Tom Gray - forests are made up of trees

[Moderator's Note: My experience here in Chicago has been that by
blocking the listed number of a PBX you also block all the back lines
as well provided all are billed together.  Likewise, blocking the main
listed number of a centrex system *usually* seems to block the various
extensions associated. It does not work that way everytime.   PAT]