[comp.dcom.telecom] A Reference to the Fire Brigade

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (03/23/91)

David Wilson writes:

> Looking at the 1990 Melbourne White Pages (Area Code 03) I find that
> the emergency services now have individual numbers in addition to the
> standard 000 (US 911) "ask operator for service required" number. The
> numbers listed are:

>	Fire Brigade		11441
>	Police			11444
>	Ambulance		11440

A couple of years ago my mom had the occasion to call 911.  Her new
neighbors were from Australia, and had somehow started a small
electrical fire in the breaker box.  When the dispatcher answered and
asked what the problem was, my mom responded: "I don't know, really;
my neighbor keeps yelling for the Fire Bridage!"  The dispatcher
reportedly laughed slightly, apparently having heard this occasionally
before.

Steve Forrette, forrette@cory.berkeley.edu