[comp.dcom.telecom] 25 Cent Surcharge For Card Calls From Payphones

forrette@cory.berkeley.edu (Steve Forrette) (03/23/91)

Linc Madison writes:

> I wrote recently about a situation in which I felt I was overcharged
> for some calling-card calls from Pacific*Bell payphones here in the
> San Francisco LATA.  After speaking to two service reps, an operator,
> two supervisors, and a manager, I found out the following:

> (2) An additonal 0.25 surcharge applies on calling-card calls from coin
> phones, EVEN IF THEY'RE PAC*BELL PAYPHONES.

With the new COCOT regulations that went into effect in California
last August, there is now a 25 cent surcharge for intra-LATA calling
card calls from COCOTs handled by Pacific Bell.  The COCOT owner gets
credits on his/her bill for these calls.  This was to satisfy the old
argument "Why shouldn't I get compensated for the wear and tear on my
phones from calling card calls."  This only affects intra-LATA Pacific
Bell-carried calls, as far as I know.  I didn't know they added the
extra 25 cents from their own payphones as well.

Steve Forrette, forrette@cory.berkeley.edu