[comp.dcom.telecom] Payphones in Public Schools

seanwilliams@attmail.com (03/23/91)

Robert L. Oliver <cbmvax!.UUCP!robert@uunet.uu.net> writes:

> Actually, in my Junior High / High School in Philadelphia (J. R.
> Masterman), we had a payphone right outside the school office.
> [...] I don't know if Bell would make the same decision today [...] But I
> would bet that money was to be made.  Students during lunch hour, teacher
> personal calls, etc.

My school, Susquenita Junior/Senior High, has two payphones, both of
which were provided by United Telephone.  One is located in the main
lobby, and the other is located in the gym lobby.  These are used
during sports events and after school activities.  The phone in the
lobby is used for "whatever".  There are provisions to add a second
phone in the gym area, if it would eventually become necessary.

The elementary school also has a payphone, located in the main lobby.

All four phones are regular Northern Telecom, black, Touch-Tone
payphones (LD via AT&T, if anyone wants to know).  They replaced the
previous rotary-style models, probably from the same manufacturer.  As
these are "real" telephone company-owned phones, they work just as one
would expect, and they don't charge extravagant rates to do so.  Equal
access also is available.

It should also be noted that these phones see plenty of use.  They
must, since the school has had at least one payphone since back when
my mother went there.

Sean E. Williams			attmail.com!seanwilliams
333 Prospect Avenue / PO Box 227	seanwilliams@attmail.com
Duncannon, PA 17020-0227  USA		voicemail: +1 717 957 8139