[comp.dcom.telecom] New Online Service?

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (03/18/91)

  The latest issue of BYTE (March 1991) has a stiff card with an ad
offering free time on a new online service in return for some feedback
on the service. Does not mention how long the free time will last or
how much use will be allowed. Also no mention of access means or
costs.  The card has questions on hardware configuration so they can
send the proper software. Also inquires about other online services
that you use.

  The front of the card is addressed to Telecommunications
Clearinghouse in Vienna VA.  Is this a front address for the actual
company and does anyone know anything more about it?

Jeff Sicherman

tmkk@uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) (03/18/91)

In article <telecom11.214.3@eecs.nwu.edu> sichermn@beach.csulb.edu
(Jeff Sicherman) writes:

>  The latest issue of BYTE (March 1991) has a stiff card with an ad
> offering free time on a new online service in return for some feedback
> on the service. Does not mention how long the free time will last or
> how much use will be allowed.

The service is called "America OnLine." I sent in one of those cards
and received their startup kit. I have not signed on as yet, however.
The following is all from memory, so my apologies if I muff some of
the details.

The service appears to be very Prodigy-like. It runs under GEOS, that
windowed operating environment we've all heard so much about. The
software itself comes in a small cardboard box, almost identical in
form to the box Prodigy comes in. Inside are the software diskettes
and instructions. If I recall correctly, they allow three free hours
of connect time (the normal charge is $4/hour for connect time) if you
fill out their online survey form. They're also offering a "charter
subscription discount" which promises that you will always pay a lower
rate than the standard connect charge, no matter how much rates may
rise in the future.  In order to sign on initially, you have to
provide them with billing information. If you decide to cancel before
your 3 free hours are used up, they promise not to charge your credit
card. Your first logon is to an 800-number which allows you to find
the local access number for your area, which you will use from then
on.

I don't remember too many other details, except for the hourly connect
charge (unlike Prodigy), and the fact that the system has files which
you can download (unlike Prodigy). I think it also allows unlimited
use of email without surcharges (unlike Prodigy). Although the offer
might sound like some sort of beta-test deal, it's really just a
gimmick to get lots of people to sign up for the new service right
away. The fact that you have to give them billing information right
away, BEFORE you've even seen the service or tell them whether or not
you like it, indicates that it is not a beta-test but simply a
marketing move. JMHO.

> Also no mention of access means

I think it's via either Tymnet or Telenet.

jdominey@bsga05.attmail.com (03/19/91)

In  V11#214, Jeff Sicherman <sichermn@beach.csulb.edu> writes:

>   The latest issue of BYTE (March 1991) has a stiff card with an ad
> offering free time on a new online service in return for some feedback
> on the service. Does not mention how long the free time will last or
> how much use will be allowed. Also no mention of access means or
> costs.  The card has questions on hardware configuration so they can
> send the proper software. Also inquires about other online services
> that you use.

Sounds like the ad in {PC Magazine} that I answered a couple of months
ago.  It turns out to be Online America.  The actual offer is, IMHO,
pretty cheesy, and I don't intend to use it.  To log in, you must
provide a Visa/Mastercard number.  You then get three "free" hours of
online time to evaluate the service.  If you stay online any longer,
normal rates ($8 peak / $4 offpeak) apply.  A monthly charge of $9.95
will also be levied, but this covers your first three hours per month.
The only way to avoid charges altogether is to drop the service after
those first three hours.

In other words, this "free time for feedback" is just a deceptive way
to lure us 'techies' into what is really just a waiver of the first
month's service charge.  Whoopee.

Jack Dominey, AT&T Commercial Marketing, Tucker GA
v: (404) 496-6925  AT&TMail: !dominey

rc@bellcore.bellcore.com (Richard Casto) (03/20/91)

I sent in that card, ommitting my phone number and using my P.O. Box -
I will see what response I get, and then post!

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (03/21/91)

In Volume 11, Issue 214, Message 3 of 4, Jeff Sicherman asks about an
unidentified "new online service".

I believe the company in question is America Online, originally aimed
at Macintosh and Apple II users, and now going after the MS-DOS
market.

I tried the Mac version of its service, and found the message areas
relatively empty, but this was a year ago.  I stopped using it because
the company imposes a fairly high communications surcharge for
Canadian users.

Nigel Allen   ndallen@contact.uucp

rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) (03/24/91)

In message from sichermn@beach.csulb.edu, Mr. Sicherman writes:

>  The latest issue of BYTE (March 1991) has a stiff card with an ad
> offering free time on a new online service in return for some feedback
> on the service. Does not mention how long the free time will last or
> how much use will be allowed. Also no mention of access means or
> costs.  The card has questions on hardware configuration so they can
> send the proper software. Also inquires about other online services
> that you use.

>  The front of the card is addressed to Telecommunications
> Clearinghouse in Vienna VA.  Is this a front address for the actual
> company and does anyone know anything more about it?

  By looking at the street address, it appears to be Quantum Computer
Services, the company that gives us People-Line, PC-Link and America
Online.  They've done this type of thing before, with the predecessor
to America Online, AppleLink Personal Edition (and yes, you can
imagine the confusion brought about by the those of us that have used
the REAL AppleLink, run by Apple Computer via General Electric
Information Services Co. system.)  I'd be wary of them, since I've had
problems with them in the past.

Randy Miller  rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com   crash!pro-harvest!rs.miller