[comp.dcom.telecom] I Want to Buy a COCOT

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (03/16/91)

I'm gathering information for our school board.  We would like to have
a pay phone in our school.  It would be primarily for local calls made
during times that the school building is open, but the office is not.
For example during town meetings, school board meetings, sports
events, etc.  It would not be used during the school day, and could be
hooked up to use one of the existing lines.

Neither the phone company nor the local COCOT company are interested
since it won't bring them much revenue.

I know that COCOTs are not popular in this group, but this seems like
a reasonable use for one.  We'd label it to make sure that folks
weren't fooled into thinking it's a normal pay phone, including a note
like "Go to the Lyme Store or Nichol's Hardware for cheaper calls."

What do you think?  Is this a good idea?  Where/how do I buy such a
phone?  How much do they cost?  Is there another way to do this?

Please reply by mail or post as you see fit.  I used to read the
telecom group regularly, but I don't any more.  I'll keep an eye on it
for a while now (and I did check that this isn't answered in current
articles).

Thanks!

steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett

Barton.Bruce@camb.com (Barton F. Bruce) (03/17/91)

In article <telecom11.209.5@eecs.nwu.edu>, stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.
edu (Steve Ligett) writes:

> I'm gathering information for our school board.  We would like to have
> a pay phone in our school.  It would be primarily for local calls made

Here in MA, NET & T will put in a phone in other than truely public
places, BUT someone pays a monthly charge to have it there. I think
that after the volume reaches some level consistantly, it can be
reclassed and is free.

If you have UNLIMITED local calling (no per call and no message units)
available, and you have some trunks that are screened (no 0+ type LD
billable to you will work, but 0+ billed elsewhere [CC, Collect, or
3rd party] will and 1+ will), set your switch to route that station to
screened trunks for local or 0+ calls, and to disallow 1+. GIVE the
call away - it costs you nothing. Possibly have a vanilla time clock
that cuts the line except in the off hours it is really needed.

If the access time is only school committee meetings and other
selected evenings, and the total hours of availability are SO few, it
may well just make sense to GIVE local calls away if you can otherwise
prevent any toll abuse. The cost of a coin phone might NEVER be
recovered, and the hassle and expense of keeping it working is simply
not worth it. Have the building's PBX handle keeping them local. Have
the SMDR output keep track of expenses and simply try it for a while.

If you have no PBX, there are relatively inexpensive toll diverters
that can be wired between this phone and some office line you use.

Or add an honor box for dimes or quarters. Have a sign that means it
that says significant loss will result in removal, and excess over
cost will be contributed to the scholarship fund. Publicly report how
much gets so contributed, and all the nosey town folk will gossip
about cheapskates that don't contribute. You are not in Boston or NYC.

If you DON'T have unlimited local calling, you can get a limited
functionality DUMB-DUMB COCOT phone that blocks ANY LD service, and
simply connects the mike and eats the coin when the customer pushes
the CLEARLY LABELED button that indicates the caller wants to pay and
talk.  Better get one that allows 911, and check if any FCC rules are
being violated by blocking all LD. Get the cheapest that blocks fraud
and collects some money. If you miss a little, tough. This is not
supposed to be a major money maker, just a reasonable convenience for
town folk.

Try GTE Supply. There was a mag called "PAYPHONE" that I think changed
its name. Some COCOT reader can probably supply it. There were plenty
of ads in it.

scott@hsvaic.boeing.com (Scott Hinckley) (03/18/91)

Miscellaneous text about buying COCOT for school deleted.

> I know that COCOTs are not popular in this group, but this seems like
> a reasonable use for one.  We'd label it to make sure that folks
> weren't fooled into thinking it's a normal pay phone, including a note
> like "Go to the Lyme Store or Nichol's Hardware for cheaper calls."

Well, I see one potential proplem here (remebering my high-school
days).  You have a captive audience during lunch&breaks which will
probably be forced to use this phone. "No, you can't use the office
phone, there is a pay phone in the hall".

Those students will be the ones having to subsidize the COCOT.  I
would try to dig a little deeper at your local Bell to try and get
them to install the phone, put the superintendants position behind the
request and see if it doesn't produce some responses.

(This assumes you are on a closed-campus style school, if they can go
anywhere they want for lunch it is a different question.)

Scott Hinckley  Internet:scott@hsvaic.boeing.com  +1 205 461 2073
UUCP:...!uunet!uw-beaver!bcsaic!hsvaic!scott         BTN:461-2073
DISCLAIMER: All contained herein are my opinions, they do not
represent the opinions or feelings of Boeing or its management.

Ed_Greenberg@3mail.3com.com (03/19/91)

Steve Ligett <stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu> writes about needing a pay
phone where there isn't enough traffic for the telco (or the local
COCOT people) to put on in.

He wants to buy a COCOT.

Most telco's offer something called a "Semi-public phone."  This is
the pay phone in the office of the gas station.  Sometimes it even has
incoming-only extensions.  (There have been stories here in Telecom
Digest about enterprising youngsters who devised a method to create
outgoing extensions :-) It's also entitled to a directory entry.

You pay something to have the phone there, and perhaps get a kickback
on the usage.

Check the tariffs in your state regarding coin service and semi-public
coin service.

edg

[Moderator's Note: Who? Me??  PAT]

robert@uunet.uu.net (Robert L. Oliver) (03/20/91)

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) writes:

> I'm gathering information for our school board.  We would like to have
> a pay phone in our school.  It would be primarily for local calls made
> during times that the school building is open, but the office is not.
> For example during town meetings, school board meetings, sports
> events, etc.  It would not be used during the school day, and could be
> hooked up to use one of the existing lines.

> Neither the phone company nor the local COCOT company are interested
> since it won't bring them much revenue.

Actually, in my Junior High / High School in Philadelphia (J. R.
Masterman), we had a payphone right outside the school office.  This
was quite pre-COCOT, so I don't know if Bell would make the same
decision today.  But I would bet that money was to be made.  Students
during lunch hour, teacher personal calls, etc.  Note that the various
Department Offices had school phones with no dials, but not "outside"
phones, though I believe the operator could patch things through.

Robert Oliver	             Rabbit Software Corp.
215-993-1152                 7 Great Valley Parkway East
robert@hutch.Rabbit.COM      Malvern,  PA 19355
         ...!uunet!cbmvax!hutch!robert

am339@cleveland.freenet.edu (Michael J. Logsdon) (03/24/91)

With the various solutions mentioned to avoid installing a COCOT, one
included installing a TOLL restrictor on one of the school's PBX lines
or stations.  If any school intends to do this, I'd be glad to give
them (or any experimenter) one of the 12 Mitel units we have just
taken out of service.

Mike Logsdon  am339@cleveland.freenet.edu
University School
VOICE 216-831-2213  FAX 216-831-1984 enter 388