[comp.dcom.telecom] Information Needed to Use Call Manager

amos@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Walter M. Amos) (03/14/91)

Several months ago, my household was using AT&T's Call Manager to keep
track of billing for long distance calls. Since moving AND living the
nomadic life for a few months, I have forgotten the method of
accessing this feature.  (Something along the lines of dial 0 + ten
digits - <BONG> + xxyy, where xx was a set number indicating Call
Manager and yy was the "account" number.) Can anyone clue me in to the
magic number I've forgotten.

Alternately (and perhaps more cost effectively), does anyone know of a
similar service from alternate LD carriers?

rbhumbla@ucsd.edu (Ravinder Bhumbla) (03/15/91)

"Walter M. Amos" <amos@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu> writes:

> Several months ago, my household was using AT&T's Call Manager to keep
> track of billing for long distance calls. Since moving AND living the
> nomadic life for a few months, I have forgotten the method of
> accessing this feature.  (Something along the lines of dial 0 + ten
> digits - <BONG> + xxyy, where xx was a set number indicating Call
> Manager and yy was the "account" number.) Can anyone clue me in to the
> magic number I've forgotten.

Ok.  Here is how it works on AT&T (I don't know about other long-distance
companies).

1. Each roommate selects an individual two-digit code (any number
   between 00 and 99).  If the roommates are born in different
   years, the year of birth is a convenient code

2. For U.S. AT&T long-distance calls,

a) dial: 0 + area code + number (for example 0-619-555-1212)
b) on receiving the <BONG>
   dial: 15nn (where nn is the individual 2 digit code)

   So the entire sequence for the example U.S. long-distance call is:
   0-619-555-1212 <BONG> 15nn

3. For international calls,

a) dial: 01 + country code + city code + number (for example
   01-91-11-670619)
b) on receiving the <BONG>
   dial: 15nn (where nn is the individual 2 digit code)

   So the entire sequence for the example international call is:
   01-91-11-670619 <BONG> 15nn

In your phone bills, the long-distance calls will be sorted by the
two-digit code

Ravinder Bhumbla   rbhumbla@ucsd.edu	U. of California, San Diego

[Moderator's Note: Does one have to specifically sign-up to use the
Call Manager feature? The reason I ask is I just now made a zero plus
call and and after the gong, entered 15xx, followed by the # to
terminate dialing and speed the process. It was accepted no questions
asked. I wonder what it will look like when billed. Incidentally, I
see that 10732 is still accepting cals from non-subscribers also.   PAT]

CER2520@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (Curtis E. Reid) (03/17/91)

I just tried to call a zero plus number then pressed 15nn after the
bong.  The system reported the card is invalid and asks me to reenter
a valid number.  So, it does not work here.  (I use AT&T.)

Curtis E. Reid
CER2520@RITVAX.Bitnet                 (Bitnet)
CER2520@RITVAX.isc.rit.edu            (Internet)

rbhumbla@ucsd.edu (Ravinder Bhumbla) (03/17/91)

In article <telecom11.206.10@eecs.nwu.edu>  I explained AT&T's Call
Manager plan and the Moderator asked:

> [Moderator's Note: Does one have to specifically sign-up to use the
> Call Manager feature? The reason I ask is I just now made a zero plus
> call and and after the gong, entered 15xx, followed by the # to
> terminate dialing and speed the process. It was accepted no questions
> asked. I wonder what it will look like when billed.

No, you do not have to sign up for this plan.  You just go ahead and
start using it.  By the way (this may be my imagination), it seems to
me that even when I do not use a #, the call gets completed quite
fast.  You would expect that, as this process is similar to a
Calling Card call, there would be delay while the process waited for
the remaining ten digits of the calling card.  Probably the 15 signals
that this is a Call Manager call.

As for the question about your bill.  It will come with the call
listed under a section entitled - Account Code 00xx.  I have been
using this for about an year now and it is really useful when at the
end of the month you need to figure out the bill for three roommates.

And, by the way, this DOES NOT cost anything more that a regular 1+
call.  I have received mail from a lot of readers wondering that as the
process is similar to that for a Calling Card call, it would cost more.

Ravinder Bhumbla  rbhumbla@ucsd.edu  U. of California, San Diego

[Moderator's Note: I wonder if Calling Cards automatically do
NOT use PINS in the 15xx series to avoid billing conflicts.  PAT]

irvin@northstar105.dartmouth.edu (Tim Irvin) (03/21/91)

In a message of Sat, 16 Mar 91 12:18 EST , Curtis E. Reid wrote:

> I just tried to call a zero plus number then pressed 15nn after the
> bong.  The system reported the card is invalid and asks me to reenter
> a valid number.  So, it does not work here.  (I use AT&T.)

I just tried it using 10288-0-NPA-7D (bong) 15nn.  I got an intercept
that said "We're sorry the service you have requested is not
available."

Tim Irvin

levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) (03/22/91)

Tim Irvin <irvin@northstar105.dartmouth.edu> writes:

> I just tried it using 10288-0-NPA-7D (bong) 15nn.  I got an intercept
> that said "We're sorry the service you have requested is not
> available."

In New England Tel., Nashua NH, I tried the same thing.  I don't have
AT&T as the default; I had to use 10288 also.  It worked; <bong>1511#
immediately got me the "Thank you" message.  I tried two values of nn.

Now to see what the bill looks like. :-)

JBL

nets: levin@bbn.com    |    BBN Communications
  or: ...!bbn!levin    |    M/S  20/7A
POTS: +1 617 873 3463  |    150 Cambridge Park Drive
FAX:  +1 617 873 8202  |    Cambridge, MA  02140

stv@uunet.uu.net (Steve Vance) (03/25/91)

Sprint has something similar to Call Manager.  If I remember right, it
is just called the "Accounting Code Feature".  You call them up and
have it activated.  After that, anytime you make a long-distance call,
you get a tone after you finish dialing.  You dial any two digits, and
then your call is completed.  Presumably you would assign a two-digit
code to each roomate, and stick to it.  On the bill, calls are divided
up for you, with page breaks and totals for each code that was used
during the billing period.

I had this feature activated on all three of my phone lines that had
Sprint as my service provider.  There was no extra charge, so I
figured, what the hell.  Then, suddenly, there were $5.00 per month
charges added to each bill.  With no advance notification, they had
started charging for a service that had been free.  Oh well.  I called
up and complained, and they took the charges off and discontinued
"Accounting Code Feature" for me.  I imagine that it would still be
useful, though, for business use, or if you have a lot of roommates! :-)

Steve Vance  {hplabs,lll-winken,pacbell}!well!stv
well!stv@lll-winken.llnl.gov