[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller*ID Hits Toronto

443114@acadvm1.uottawa.ca (Eric Skinner) (03/19/91)

According to an otherwise-clueless Bell Canada representative,
Caller*ID, or "Call Management Services" as it is known here, will be
available in Toronto effective April 22nd.

Eric Skinner              443114@acadvm1.uottawa.ca
University of Ottawa                +1 613 230 0261

[Moderator's Note: Be careful you don't violate anyone's 'rights'!
Tomorrow in the Digest, an intriguing story of a woman whose Caller*ID
service got *her* in trouble.  Fact or fiction?  Read it, then you
decide.  PAT]

djm@dmntor.uucp (David McKellar) (03/24/91)

In article <telecom11.218.5@eecs.nwu.edu> 443114@acadvm1.uottawa.ca
(Eric Skinner) writes:

> According to an otherwise-clueless Bell Canada representative,
> Caller*ID, or "Call Management Services" as it is known here, will be
> available in Toronto effective April 22nd.

A phone bill insert also says that subscribers can call the operator
and ask to have their phone number kept secret for one call - the
operator then places the call.  FOR ONLY C$.75 A CALL !!!!!  Anyone
want to start a Canadian 1-900-STOPPER service for 50 cents a shot ?

Dave McKellar   UUCP: djm@dmntor.UUCP
UUCP bang: ...!uunet!jtsv16!geac!dmntor!djm
BITNET: djm%dmntor.UUCP@CSRI.TORONTO.EDU

sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) (03/25/91)

djm@dmntor.uucp (David McKellar) writes:

> A phone bill insert also says that subscribers can call the operator
> and ask to have their phone number kept secret for one call - the
> operator then places the call.  FOR ONLY C$.75 A CALL !!!!!  Anyone
> want to start a Canadian 1-900-STOPPER service for 50 cents a shot ?

The local telco (GTE subsidiary, BC Telephone Co.), tried to do the
same thing here, and was, I believe, denied the operator charge.  How
they are going to get around it, I don't know.

On an unrelated matter, they are dropping TTone charges from $1.30 per
residence line and from $2.55 per business line, while at the same
time raising the basic rate for all lines by $.90 per month.

Steve Pershing, System Administrator

The QUESTOR Project: FREE Usenet News/Internet Mail; Sci, Med, AIDS, more :

Internet: sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca     : POST: 1027 Davie Street,  Box 486 :
Phones:   Voice/FAX:  +1 604 682 6659 :       Vancouver, British Columbia :
          Data/BBS:   +1 604 681 0670 :       Canada  V6E 4L2             :