[comp.dcom.telecom] Automated Telephone Information Systems

ecfx@midway.uchicago.edu (Ernie Froemel) (03/23/91)

Does anyone know of microcomputer-based applications that control
automated telephone information systems?  I'm looking for something
that:

	1.  answers incoming calls,
	2.  plays a recorded set of instructions,
	3.  switches the caller to other instructions or to
	    other phones based on touch-tones,
	4.  transfers to another phone in the absence of
	    touch-tone input.

Any guidance as to vendors or experiences with such software would be
appreciated.

Ernie Froemel   ecfx@midway.uchicago.edu

FVEST@ducvax.auburn.edu (Floyd Vest) (03/25/91)

[23 Mar 91 09:21:10 GMT] ecfx@midway.uchicago.edu (Ernie Froemel)
wrote:

> Does anyone know of microcomputer-based applications that control
> automated telephone information systems?  I'm looking for something
> that:

>	1.  answers incoming calls,
>	2.  plays a recorded set of instructions,
>	3.  switches the caller to other instructions or to
>	    other phones based on touch-tones,
>	4.  transfers to another phone in the absence of
>	    touch-tone input.

We bought such a system from the EPOS Corporation (205/826-7056).  The
system is programmable ... The type we bought will handle up to
sixteen lines concurrently.  It can also communicate with remote hosts
to access online applications, or credit card verifications.  The
system also claims to accept input from rotary phones (we haven't
tried that).  The company also has provided excellent support and
service.  If you call ask for Ben Mitchell and tell him you heard it
from me ... maybe he'll buy me lunch :-)

I have no connection with EPOS other than being a satisfied customer
(with my employer's money :-))

Floyd Vest <fvest@ducvax.auburn.edu> <fvest@auducvax.bitnet>
Manager, Administrative Systems--Auburn University, Alabama USA
Voice: +1 205 844 4512  BBS: +1 205 745 3989  FIDO: 1:3613/3