[comp.dcom.telecom] Train Derailment and Alternate Carriers

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (03/25/91)

In <telecom11.235.5@eecs.nwu.edu> john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon)
writes:

> ... The media was
> quick to point out that customers could place calls through MCI or
> AT&T but did not give any instructions on how that might be done.

Alternate carriers got the same treatment back when AT&T's network
went kaplooey.  "Oh, MCI and Sprint still work, so figure out how to
get to them."

The big problem for the media is the proliferation of alternate
carriers.  They don't want to advertise for one without advertising
for all, including the various regional carriers.  They can get in
some ethical trouble for such free advertising.  (Yes, I realize
that's an idealized statement; please try to keep my mailbox
relatively clean of indignant replies. ;-) )

Plus, as we've seen, 10xxx doesn't work in all places just yet.

Michael Ho, University of Nebraska   Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu
Disclaimer:  Views expressed within are purely personal and should not be
	     applied to any university agency.