[comp.dcom.telecom] Phone Hookup for American PC in Scotland

jlangri@relay.nswc.navy.mil (03/19/91)

A friend of mine will be heading for Scotland next month and wants to
take a laptop pc w/modem.  I'm sure he can use a voltage adapter to
charge the battery (I'm not real sure he would want to use the pc
directly off the adapter), but what type of hookup will he need to
connect his modem to the phone system there?

julian%bongo.UUCP@nosc.mil (Julian Macassey) (03/26/91)

In article <telecom11.218.6@eecs.nwu.edu> jlangri@relay.nswc.navy.mil
writes:

> A friend of mine will be heading for Scotland next month and wants
> to take a laptop pc w/modem.  What type of hookup will he need
> to connect his modem to the phone system there?

	This is one of those questions asked here so often I am
surprised the modem, FAX and phone manufacturers don't put it in their
manuals.

	First of all, Europe - yes, even Scotland - uses CCITT modem
standards.  Here in the US we use BELL mostly with CCITT V32 etc.
becoming more popular. So if your friend wants to log into local
systems, he may need to switch his modem over. If he is calling back
to the US. No problem.

	Now in many parts of the U.K. Touch Tone dialing is available,
so that can be tested with a test dial. If not, pulse will work fine.

	Now the mechanical stuff:

	For the international, works anywhere solution, you will need
a modular cord with spade lugs on the end. Telephone equipment stores,
including AT&T phones stores (The Death Star Store), carry these. You
plug the modular part in the modem or phone and the spade lugs screw
down to your local terminal block. On British Telecom Jacks, that
would be terminals 2 and 5.

	In the U.K. you can bring in a modular cord and cut the plug
off one end. Take it to an "Electrical shop" where they will terminate
the spare end of your modular cord with a British Telecom style jack
plug. Tell the man in the shop that the two center wires in your Yank
phone line are the ones he wants.

Yes, why hasn't the world adopted the wonderful AT&T modular jack? It
is pretty nifty, reliable and cheap. Some countries have phone jacks
that look like they can handle 20A at 220V.

Here is the document on Brit Jacks:

               British Telecom Auxiliary Jack Wiring

        British phones have 3 wires. There are two wires A & B (Tip &
Ring) coming into a house. There is no protector. In the primary jack
in the house is a 2 uF capacitor. On the end of this cap is the third
wire. The AC ringing signal is fed to the phone on this wire and its
DC counterpart. See diagram:

                  ----| |------O (3)

    (A) O----------------------O (2)

    (B) O----------------------O (5)

        Note: The Numbers in the diagram are the numbers engraved on
the jack terminals. If the phone rings continuously, reverse 2 and 5.
The ringer is fed by AC current on pins 3 and 5.

        BT  consider the A terminal to be ground. B is measured as 45
to 50 volts above ground.

        Wiring Colour Codes:
        The standard inside wire is classic "3 pair". A jack is wired
as follows:

        Pin #               Wire colour

        2                   Blue/White
        3                   Orange/White
        4                   White/Orange
        5                   White/Blue

                                END

Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
742 1/2 North Hayworth Avenue Hollywood CA 90046-7142 voice (213) 653-4495

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (03/27/91)

One problem I have with US-style phone jacks is that little plastic
spring that keeps the plug in the socket is always breaking off. I've
bought a crimping tool just so I can replace the buggers without
throwing out twenty feet of perfectly good cord.

(peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com)