[comp.dcom.telecom] Anyone Remember the "Tele-Trainer"?

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (03/18/91)

In article <74347@bu.edu.bu.edu> hansen@pegasus.att.com (Tony L
Hansen) writes:

> A group I'm associated with is putting on a play and a phone will be
> used on the set. How would I hook up the phone so that I can cause it
> to ring on demand? Preferably, I'd like to have some sort of switch or
> push button which I can push and have the phone ring.

	With all of the responses on this topic, and with there being
a not insignificant number of old-timers reading Telecom Digest, I am
surprised that no one mentioned the "traditional" solution to this
problem: borrow a "Teletrainer".

	The Teletrainer was a Bell System device which would connect
two telephones so that they could ring and talk to each other.  One
feature of the Teletrainer was interrupted ringing which exactly
simulated that of a real telephone call.  There was also a provision
for an audience to listen to the conversation on a loudspeaker.  The
Teletrainer, which came in a few different models (the WECO KS-16605
was probably the most common) was about the size of a small bread box.
The Teletrainer had four-pin jacks for use with two 500-type
telephones.  The Teletrainer and associated telephones came in a
custom carrying case.  It was primarily intended for training
presentations on telephone etiquette and sales techniques put on by
[former] Bell System operating companies.

	There was once a time when any school or little theater group
could simply call their local Bell System business office and ask to
borrow a Teletrainer for the duration of a theater production.  There
was, of course, no charge, and this was obviously a public relations
gesture on the part of local telephone company.

	I suspect those days are long gone, but it won't hurt to call
the telephone company and ask.  They might say "yes", they might say
"no", or they might say "go ask Judge Green". :-)

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231       {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635   [note: ub=acsu.buffalo.edu] uunet!/      \aerion!larry

jkg@prism.gatech.edu (Jim Greenlee) (03/24/91)

In article <telecom11.213.7@eecs.nwu.edu> kitty!larry@uunet.uu.net
(Larry Lippman) writes:

>	There was once a time when any school or little theater group
> could simply call their local Bell System business office and ask to
> borrow a Teletrainer for the duration of a theater production.

Indeed - I remember someone bringing a Teletrainer to my first-grade
class one day (this was in the mid-60's - I don't remember it being
referred to as a Teletrainer, but the setup was just as Larry
described). There was a small box that was controlled by the
"operator", and two telephones that were used by the "caller" and
"callee" (I don't think either of the phones had dials).

As I recall, the control box would signal when either of telephone
handsets went off-hook, and the "operator" could either ring the call
through, or return a "busy" signal to the "caller" (this could be done
whether or not the handset of the other phone was off-hook - more on
that later :-). If the call went through, then the conversation could
be heard by the rest of the group.

Several of us in the class took turns at being the "operator" or one
of the "callers". I got a chance to be "operator", but got sent back
to my seat because I kept giving busy signals (they never let me have
*any* fun :-).  That particular demonstration stands out as one my few
memories from that first grade year.

Jim Greenlee (jkg@cc.gatech.edu)
Instructor, College of Computing
Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332

kent@sunfs3.bos.camex.com (Kent Borg) (03/28/91)

In article <telecom11.235.7@eecs.nwu.edu> jkg@prism.gatech.edu (Jim
Greenlee) writes:

> In article <telecom11.213.7@eecs.nwu.edu> kitty!larry@uunet.uu.net
> (Larry Lippman) writes:

>>	There was once
>> a time when any school or little theater group could simply call
>> their local Bell System business office and ask to borrow a
>> Teletrainer for the duration of a theater production.

> Indeed - I remember someone bringing a Teletrainer to my first-grade
> class one day (this was in the mid-60's - I don't remember it being
> referred to as a Teletrainer, but the setup was just as Larry
> described). There was a small box that was controlled by the
> "operator", and two telephones that were used by the "caller" and
> "callee" (I don't think either of the phones had dials).

Yes, I remember it too.  I remember which end of the school we were in
that day, but am not sure the grade.  First grade sounds plausable.

Our's had dials, this would have been around 1966.  I was under the
impression at the time that you needed to dial seven digits, even the
correct ones.  Thinking back on it now, knowing what I do about demos,
I tend to think that that was not true.

I can't recount any experiances using it with because other kids got
called on -- I was never the teacher's pet.

I do remember at the time understanding that operators do not decide
who gets busy signals.  I think I thought the idea strange and asked
about it, was told that operators don't really do that.  I then
criticized the accuracy of the lesson, saying that it was inaccurate.

In retrospect, I understand better and better why I was never the pet.

Kent Borg         internet: kent@camex.com   AOL: kent borg
                  H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577