[comp.dcom.telecom] The Early Days of Telephony

0004133373@mcimail.com (Donald E. Kimberlin) (03/23/91)

        In article <Digest v11, iss211>, Jim E. Dunne <motcid!void!
dunne@uunet.uu.net> describes an old North Electric branded telephone
he has questions about.  Probably one of the more "fun" antiques any
of us in this forum has is some very old telephone, mainly because
most of them can be made into a working antique.  I've even met people
who managed to get the answering service version of a 555 PBX and
hooked up a line or two, placing the thing in their living room,
because the wood cabinet was made of such fine lumber that it could be
refinished and made to look very nice; having its drops operate and
its dial work added an element of fun to it.

        Jim, however, has a problem making the ringer operate on a
Bell-style 20 Hertz straight-ringing line, saying the ringer is marked
"50 Cycles."  That frequency would be one from a non-Bell company that
used the party-line ringing method called "decimonic" ringing, where
the frequencies used were multiples of 10 Hertz, rather than the
multiples of 16-2/3 Hertz used in the more common "harmonic"
party-line ringing of independent Telcos.

        Decimonic ringing was most commonly used in the private
telephone systems operated by railways along their tracks. However, in
general, the basic ringer of all those old phones is electrically much
the same.  The item that made the difference was the value of the
capacitor connected in series with the ringer in most.  The ringer
capacitor should be readily visible as a replaceable item once one
opens the phone up, and a capacitance of the order of three times that
found in the 50 cycle ringer ought to tune it much closer to 20 Hertz.

        The North Electric Company long ago shifted its product
specialty to telephone power equipment, but it can still be found in
Galion, Ohio.  So long as the accountants have yet taken over
completely, and all the "old-timers" haven't been fired, you can
probably find a soul there who's interested in communicating with you
about that phone.

        Jim then asks:

> My question is, who were the phone manufacturers of old?  I'm
> sure that Western Electric made the phones for the Bell system, but
> who made the phones for the "other" companies?  And how/when did these
> other service providers, and their hardware makers, come on the scene?

        There's just a whole raft of stories and even intrigues
relating to who made the phones and how it got that way in the early
days of telephony in the U.S.  In fact, Bell's original patent claims
were sufficiently disputed by several parties. The most notable of
these was the caveat filed the same day by one Elisha Gray [of
Chicago, for our proud Moderator to take note].  Gray didn't press his
telephone to a working model for some years until it appeared that
Bell's backers would make a success of the business.

        Most interesting is that Gray's financial backer was the
Western Union Telegraph Company, which called its venture the American
Speaking Telephone Company.  Among other curious happenings was that
Western Union was reputed to have paid Gray some $50,000 to $100,000
for his patent claims, have bought out several others, and refused an
offer from Bell interests to buy the Bell patent for $100,000.

        Of course, in 1878, $100,000 was a considerable sum of money,
and the Bell interests sued Western Union as owners of American
Speaking Telephone for patent infringment, a suit that dragged on for
some years ... with the interesting settlement result that in return
for Bell paying WUTCo 20 percent of telephone rentals for seventeen
years and buying out WTUCo's American Speaking Telephone, the two
agreed to stay out of each other's business.  It's doubtful the U.S.
Federal government would have permitted such an agreement in later
eras.

        One drawback that both the Bell and Gray patent plans suffered
was that they both used a variation on the fabled cup of acid that
Bell spilled on his trousers.  What Gray had done (with WUTCo backing)
was to use Thomas Edison's contribution of the carbon-granule-filled
transmitter, making telephones at his firm called Gray & Barton,
selling the manufacture to WUTCo's American Speaking Telephone.  In
1882, after settling with WUTCo, American Bell purchased Gray &
Barton, changing its name to Western Electric.

        In the period through about 1888, Bell vigorously fought off
several conflicting patents of others, and set about on a rather
Hitler-like campaign of object lessons.  Printed history reveals that
in numerous cases, the Bell people obtained judgments in local courts,
then proceeded to enforce them by raiding non-Bell exchanges, ripping
out the equipment, and then burning it on public display.
Nevertheless, non-Bell telephone companies popped up in many markets
too small to be of interest to Bell.  Some number of these had
equipment purchased from American Speaking Telephone in the Gray &
Barton years.  One other source in this period was the Baxter Company
in Utica, New York.

        March, 1893 was when Bell lost their patent protection on the
telephone transmitter, while January, 1894 was the expiration of
Bell's receiver patent.  In the interim, Bell had bought every
"telephone" patent in sight, many of which had no utlimate use or
value.  But among these was one for a transmitter filed by Emile
Berliner in 1877.  The Berliner patent wasn't granted until 1891, and
Bell had hoped to ride on that one, but it had already drawn the
interest of the U.S.  Attorney General, who filed suit on behalf of
the public, saying the Patent Office had delayed its issuance for the
monopoly convenience of the Bell interests.

        Betting that the Attorney General would win, a number of
non-Bell "independent" telephone manufacturers popped up.  Among the
earliest of these was reported to be the American Electric Telephone
Company of Kokomo, Indiana.  American Electric was actually the
reincarnation of what had been the Missouri Telephone Manufacturing
Company of St. Louis that had been forced out of business by Bell's
vigorous patent prosecution.  American Electric moved its factory to
Chicago, then dissolved itself into two successor firms: Keystone
Electric of Pittsburgh and Northwestern Telephone Manufacturing of
Milwaukee.

        But names we now know began to appear, and at least one
researcher names an Ohio firm, Drumheller & North of Ohio, that first
got into business by repairing Bell telephones for the Cleveland
(Bell) Telephone company in 1884.  Within a few years, this expanded
into the North Electric Company, making equipment for the Erie
Telephone & Telegraph Company, which was a Bell licensee. At the time,
North could not manufacture transmitters of receivers, and Erie
Telephone rented these from Bell for use in the North manufacture.

        North provided at least two notable innovations to the
telephone industry.  First, North made the first Private Automatic
Exchange for the Galion, Ohio High School in 1920.  Its name, PAX, is
the source of this term in the non-Bell telephone industry. In 1922,
North followed the PAX with the first Automatic Toll Switchboard built
for the Northern Ohio Telephone Company. Later, in 1938, F.R. McBerry
of North Electric was credited as inventor of the Wire-Spring relay,
using a reed armature.  Anyone who worked on American relay-vintage
telephone equipment knows how basic the Wire-Spring relay became to
telephony in the U.S.  Along the way, one H.W. Boswau of North
Electric was credited with having built a push-button dialing
switching system in 1931, but it never reached manfacture.

        From this, one can see how North Electric provided advances
wanted not only by telephone companies but also the railways they sold
so much to.  And you, Jim, can see how much history resides in the
telephone you now own.  The way it likely wound up in the hands of a
GTE company is that GTE went on a binge of buying small non-Bell
companies in the 1950's and 1960's.  The one you found that phone in
was probably one supplied by North Electric.  North went through
several wide financial swings over the years, and was owned for a time
by L.M. Ericsson when LME wanted to manufacture and sell its crossbar
switches in the U.S. (not offering the technology to Stromberg-Carlson),
and this resulted in the North NX-1 and NX-2 crossbar exchanges that
enjoyed some popularity.  Finally, LME sold North out to United
Utilities, which made a third-league copy of Western Electric of
North, with its most visible entity today being the North Supply
Company (not a bad place to buy telephone equipment if you want to, by
the way).

        But, what of the others?

        My source material does not state the beginnings of the
Kellogg Switchboard and Supply Company of Chicago, but it was one of
the most innovative of developers in the late 1800's, and by 1901 its
founder, Milo G. Kellogg, had to leave a successful company in Chicago
in 1901 for his health, moving to California.  He left his company in
the hands of his brother-in-law, who promptly sold out to the Bell
interests. Behind this lies a story in which many claim Bell proceeded
on a route of killing Kellogg, to fill the non-Bell companies with
poor product, and simultaneously sue Kellogg over a variety of patent
issues, then control a weak defense.  This story also seems to bear
truth, in that Kellogg employees who held some minority shares first
wrote a letter of appeal to the President of AT&T, and getting no
reply, filed a lawsuit and won an injunction that required AT&T to
give up its ownership in Kellogg and enjoined Bell interests from
interfering with the management or control of the Kellogg company in
perpetuity.

        From that point, in 1906, Kellogg grew to be one of the major
names supplying telephone equipment to non-Bell companies.  Kellogg,
in fact, had many innovations to its credit before Bell did, among
these the "Grabaphone," a hand-held transmitter-receiver some years
before Western Electric's first one in 1926 ... and the Kellogg phone
was truly superior by 1933. Kellogg remained a power in the non-Bell
industry until ITT bought it in 1952, and Kellogg, as many others,
lost market when GTE began buying companies and feeding business to
its own manufacturing subsidiary, Automatic Electric.  GTE simply
decided in the 1950's to copy things that Bell had so successfully
clamped controls on a half-century earlier.  If you were around then,
you could have bought all the non - Automatic Electric telephones you
could carry for 50 cents each from any newly-acquired GTE company.
Many of us did, and hooked them up at home to become "criminals" in
GTE's eyes.  There wasn't much love lost between the public and GTE,
either.

        Automatic Electric, which GTE gained control of as part of its
1950's plans, had roots reaching clear back to the 1891 invention of
Almon B. Strowger, and through several incarnations at Chicago, then
Baltimore, then back to Chicago, Its name over these changes were
variations on the name, "Automatic." The last one was Strowger
Automatic Telephone Exchange Company, replaced finally by the name
Automatic Electric Company in 1901.  It finally became the Automatic
Electric Company (Illinois) based on Van Buren Street in Chicago
[Chicago once again!] until GTE flooded it with so many orders in the
1950's that AECo had to move to suburban Northlake, Illinois, until
GTE killed it in the 1980's, moving its remains to Phoenix.

        Throughout its history, Automatic Electric pioneered some
significant improvements to dial telephony, not the least of which was
what many telephone men regarded as the smoothest rotary dial ever
seen.  In that proud heyday of Automatic Electric, the name of
Strowger was memorialized in the Strowger Automatic Toll Ticketing
system, patented in 1925, but unsellable beause AT&T had by then
monopolized the long distance business.  A few SATTs were sold in
Europe, but when GTE needed an automatic toll ticketing system in the
1950's for its part of DDD, they pulled the original SATT drawings out
and spread what was by then a really unreliable asset though GTE
companies across the U.S.  Old Almon B. probably rolled several times
in the grave he'd been sleeping in since 1906.

        Alfred Stromberg and Androv Carlson joined in business making
switchboards in Chicago [Chicago again!] in 1894.  Stromberg and
Carlson had been employees of Chicago Bell and knew how to make a
sound-powered transmitter that Bell could not assail in patent suits,
so they managed a peaceable, prosperous existence out of reach of the
Bell wolves that killed most of the others.  Among things that
Stromberg and Carlson contributed to the industry was the first real
telephone set that was complete on a desktop on its own, including
magneto and ringer, instead of mounting on the wall. But, one of their
best clients, Rochester Home Telephone Company purchased control and
moved Stromberg-Carlson to Rochester, NY to protect their source of
supply from Bell predators.  Stromberg prospered in early days by
filling contracts for Kellogg clients until Kellogg recoverd from the
damage done by Bell, about 1909.

        The obvious Scandinavian bias of Stromberg's founders led them
to license manufacture of L.M. Ericsson mechanical telephone switching
technology known in the U.S. as the "Stromberg X-Y" switching machine.
X-Y was enormously popular in the non-Bell telephone companies just
after World War II.

        One more historic name one might run across is the Leich
Electric Company at Genoa, Illinois [close to Chicago!], based upon
buying the rights of North Electric's manual telephone equipment in
one of North's low points while North was getting into automatic
switches.  Curiously, what made Leich famous was its devlopment of its
own form of automatic switch, designed by a German who had worked at
North Electric, went to Germany to fight for the Kaiser, and came back
to the U.S. after the war. Leich's relay-switch most closely resembled
a crossbar switch for some decades before the term was coined, and its
unique style was quite suited to PBXs and very small telephone
exchanges. Leich enjoyed considerable popularity in this arena, and
supplied telephone sets that bore the Leich name.

        While there were a number of other long-dead suppliers. one
more deserves mention, because it is credited as being the source of
practical frequency-selective ringing that Bell nver really used.
That firm is Dean Electric Company of Elyria, Ohio.  W.W.Dean, its
founder, had worked at Kellogg, where he learned that although Western
Electric had tried frequency-selective ringing in the early 1900's,
they had failed at developing a stable source of the several
frequencies needed.  Dean managed to make the system of multiple
ringing frequencies practical, and the non-Bell companies adopted
variants of Dean's development widely.  Thus, we see one of the
leading differentiators between Bell and non-Bell telephones.

        This may have been a long and (hopefully not too) labored
response to a short question, but I hope it affords a rather full
picture of the several names of antique apparatus would-be antique
collectors might encounter.  In writing it, I relied heavily upon a
book I would recommend to anyone who really wants to understand the
mindset of various factions in the United States telecom industry, for
many of the attitudes of a century of history remain to this very day.
In that book, one can see how those attitudes were generated and how
they prevail ... as well as how much of today's operating methods
really replicate inventions of generations ago.

        The book to read is:

                "The Spirit of Independent Telephony,"
                 by Charles A. Pleasance
                 ISBN 0-9622205-0-7
                 Published by Independent Telephone Books
                 P.O Box 321, Johnson City, TN  37601
                 Last priced at $29.50 plus $3.00 (domestic)
                 or $6.00 (international) shipping.
                 Visa or Mastercard orders accepted at (615) 926-0302

        (And, once again, our Moderator can rightfully pride himself
on his home town's intimate involvement with telecomm history.)

varney@ihlpf.att.com (Al L Varney) (03/25/91)

In article <telecom11.226.1@eecs.nwu.edu> 0004133373@mcimail.com
(Donald E. Kimberlin) writes:

>        In article <Digest v11, iss211>, Jim E. Dunne <motcid!void!
> dunne@uunet.uu.net> describes an old North Electric branded telephone....

>        The book to read is:

>                "The Spirit of Independent Telephony,"
>                 by Charles A. Pleasance
>                 ISBN 0-9622205-0-7
>                 Published by Independent Telephone Books
>                 P.O Box 321, Johnson City, TN  37601
>                 Last priced at $29.50 plus $3.00 (domestic)
>                 or $6.00 (international) shipping.
>                 Visa or Mastercard orders accepted at (615) 926-0302

         And the place to visit is:

      "Museum of Independent Telephony"

Located in the back half of the Dickinson County Museum, Abilene, Kansas
       (just East of the Eisenhower Museum, also worth a visit).

An interesting collection of old telephones, switchboards and other
equipment that involve non-Bell companies.  The curator/manager gives
individual "tours" and will talk at length on about any "Independent"
topic you want to name.  She has the most complete collection of
"Independent Telephony" books and magazines I've seen.

   Kansas was rife with Independents, and still has several.  My home
town was almost surrounded with very small ones.  Some were just a
switchboard, with maybe a 100 square mile territory.  Short poles and
8 gauge(?) steel wire were common; my Dad purchased a mile segment of
the wire when Southwestern Bell bought out one of them.  (The wire was
stiff and very rusty, but it made a good electric cattle fence.)  One
of the last Independents in the area was very modern, and had
underground cable way before SW Bell put it in locally.  Underground
cable was very desirable, because ice storms took out wire/poles every
year or so.

   We had 8-party Southwestern Bell service, went dial in about 1960.
I still remember the "open house" of the little SXS CDO, about the
size of a two-car garage.  This had the battery plant, Dist. Frame,
tone generator, etc. as well as those wonderful switches.  (Little did
I know that twenty years later I would be working at the Hawthorne
Plant in Cicero, IL -- where the switches were still in production (or
at least parts were).  ANI was added around 1973, before that you
dialed a toll call as 1+ ..., but the operator had to ask "Number,
please?"; you KNEW she meant the number you were calling from!

   The little CDO is still in operation, but will be replaced soon by
an Ericsson switch.  That will signal the end of four-digit toll-free
calling for the folks back home (and the number always starts with
3!).  It took several visits to explain Divestiture to my grandmother
(90+); how will I EVER explain why she has to dial 428- in front of
her friends numbers ????  I did ask a former "farm boy next door" (1.5
mile walk) who now works for SW Bell why they couldn't make the whole
town a Centrex group and retain the nine-digit numbers ... he didn't
have an answer for me.  { Hey, Steve, any chance I can get a old
switch from the CDO?  Please? }

Al Varney, AT&T Network Systems, Lisle, IL

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (03/26/91)

Al L Varney discussed Kansas Independents.

My friend the telephone collector told me about being in and around
Lawrence, Kansas in the late 50's/early 60's. There was a full scale
telephone war going on between the Independents and Ma; who was
apparently trying to take over. There was full scale sabotage going
on, eventually by both sides. Poles chopped down, trunks cut, etc.
ISTM that part of that was that Ma claimed that Mom & Pop could not
provide quality service, and low and behold, they couldn't!!!

Before the shooting started, townfolk had one or the other LEC's, or
maybe both. But you could not call from Ma to Mom & Pop or vice versa.

One other piece of 'break your heart' trivia. Lee was driving by the
old telco's office, and saw a large pile of magneto phones.  They had
been pulled from service to be replaced with new-fangled things with
central battery and a DIAL! Lee was given all the old sets he could
carry, cuz "no one would EVER want old junk like that" the man said.
Well, Lee loaded up his car with as many as he could carry. Seeing how
at that time he drove a 1956 Cadillac high-top rescue ambulance, that
was quite a few.

But Lee was not much smarter then the rest of us. He gave or traded
them all away before they became desirable collector's items.  He's
still got the Caddy, however ;-}

kent@sunfs3.bos.camex.com (Kent Borg) (03/28/91)

In article <telecom11.235.8@eecs.nwu.edu> varney@ihlpf.att.com (Al L
Varney) writes:

> at least parts were).  ANI was added around 1973, before that you
> dialed a toll call as 1+ ..., but the operator had to ask "Number,
> please?"; you KNEW she meant the number you were calling from!

I never knew.  I always had to ask what she meant.  I had assumed that
they knew where I was calling from (you mean I could have lied and
gotten away with it? -- never occured to me), yet I had just dialed
the number I wanted, so why would she ask that?

Kent Borg          internet: kent@camex.com   AOL: kent borg
                        H: (617) 776-6899  W: (617) 426-3577