[comp.dcom.telecom] MCI Around-Town Disappearing

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (03/23/91)

As of 1 April, MCI's Around-Town is no more.

This was a GREAT feature, IMHO. Basically, if you used 950-xxxx access
from your local calling area, you did NOT pay the ripoff $0.75/0.80
charge. I've made lots of one minute calls that cost $0.19 or so. I've
got cards that are "local" to several areas so as to avoid overpaying
while traveling.

Last year, MCI started charging $0.25 per.

As seems to be the case, not just with MCI but all American business,
I only found out while calling about another matter. They promised
that my March statement would have a note stating such, but I just got
my AMEX bill, and there isn't a word about it in there.

Does Metromedia still offer their card with this feature?

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu   (305) 255-RTFM

whitejon@cmcl2.nyu.edu (jonathan white) (03/28/91)

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:

> As of 1 April, MCI's Around-Town is no more.

> This was a GREAT feature, IMHO. Basically, if you used 950-xxxx access
> from your local calling area, you did NOT pay the ripoff $0.75/0.80
> charge.

You might want to try ITT/Metromedia. They have no surcharge on
calling card calls no matter where you call from. I've been using mine
for about six months now and have no complaints.

Jonathan       whitejon@acf5.nyu.edu