[comp.dcom.telecom] Ground Start vs Loop Start: How to Convert?

zarko@apple.com (Zarko Draganic) (03/27/91)

Does anyone know of a simple circuit or a device you can buy that will
convert between loop start and ground start? I'm using an answering
device that doesn't realize when the caller hung up on one type of
line, and on the other, senses disconnect immediately. Is the problem
even related to loop/ground start?

zarko@apple.com

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (03/29/91)

Zarko Draganic <zarko@apple.com> writes:

> Does anyone know of a simple circuit or a device you can buy that will
> convert between loop start and ground start? I'm using an answering
> device that doesn't realize when the caller hung up on one type of
> line, and on the other, senses disconnect immediately. Is the problem
> even related to loop/ground start?

Ground or loop start should not be an issue here. Different types of
CO switching behave differently upon disconnect. The 1/1AESS will
provide loop interruption immediately when the caller hangs up. A
DMS100 takes a while (and sometimes won't do it at all depending on
the hardware/software packs). The same is true for the 5ESS.

In Cupertino, you have service from both a 1AESS and a DMS100,
depending on the prefix. The old "ALpine" (252, 253, etc.) exchanges
are handled by the DMS, and the newer "weird" prefixes (996, 446,
etc.)  are served out of the 1AESS.

If you find that the DMS is not returning a loop signal upon
disconnect, you may be able to convince Pac*Bell to correct it. Good
luck.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !