[comp.dcom.telecom] Questions About AT&T Credit Card Calls

rnewman@bbn.com (Ron Newman) (03/23/91)

1. If I use an AT&T Universal Card to make an intra-LATA call (e.g.
between 617 and 508), how does this get billed?  Is the call carried
by AT&T or by the local Bell operating company (in this case, New
England Telephone)?  How does the BOC know that it should accept an
AT&T-issued card?  (Note: an AT&T Universal card number does not begin
with a "real" phone number.)

2. Can I use an AT&T Universal Card to make an intra-LATA call between
a Bell and a non-Bell area?

3. For the above two questions, does it matter whether I dialed 10288
(10ATT) or not?

4. What happens if I try to use an AT&T Universal Card on
for a non-AT&T inter-LATA call, because either -

  (a) the "Dial 1" selection was not AT&T, or
  (b) I used a carrier code such as 10222, 10333, etc. ?

Ron Newman		rnewman@bbn.com

nin15b0b@stan.merrimack.edu (David E. Sheafer, Class of 1989) (03/24/91)

In article <telecom11.230.1@eecs.nwu.edu>, rnewman@bbn.com (Ron
Newman) writes:

> 1. If I use an AT&T Universal Card to make an intra-LATA call (e.g.
> between 617 and 508), how does this get billed?  Is the call carried
> by AT&T or by the local Bell operating company (in this case, New
> England Telephone)?  How does the BOC know that it should accept an
> AT&T-issued card?  (Note: an AT&T Universal card number does not begin
> with a "real" phone number.)

   This would be billed by New England Telephone and you would not
recieve the 10% AT&T credit.  The Baby Bells have access to AT&T's
database and therefore can verify that it is a valid card.

> 2. Can I use an AT&T Universal Card to make an intra-LATA call between
> a Bell and a non-Bell area?

> 3. For the above two questions, does it matter whether I dialed 10288
> (10ATT) or not?

  No, because the call is being handled by NET and not AT&T.

> 4. What happens if I try to use an AT&T Universal Card on
> for a non-AT&T inter-LATA call, because either -

>   (a) the "Dial 1" selection was not AT&T, or
>   (b) I used a carrier code such as 10222, 10333, etc. ?

   Most likely wont go through.  With MCI you will get an "invalid
card" message.  (AT&T cards related to an actual phone number will go
through and be billed by the MCI).

   With Sprint, you will most likely ending up talking to an operator.

David E. Sheafer  internet:  nin15b0b@merrimack.edu
uucp:      samsung!hubdub!nin15b0b
GEnie:     D.SHEAFER             Freenet ap345
Bitnet:    Sheafer_davi@bentley

K_MULLHOLAND@unhh.unh.edu (KATH MULLHOLAND) (03/29/91)

We have tested the new AT&T "scrambled" number cards (that do not
mimic an area code/phone number combination) and have found that our
Baby Bell (NYNEX) will not accept the card.

If this is so, it is only right, since NYNEX also does not accept MCI
Sprint, or other common carrier credit cards (not ot mention Visa,
etc.)

We are recommending to our faculty that they only get an AT&T card if
they are travelling overseas and need to call back here.  We encourage
Baby Bell cards because they are going to be much more flexible as
time goes on.

Kath Mullholand          UNH, Durham, NH