[comp.dcom.telecom] Information Needed on Broadband ISDN

jcn@uunet.uu.net (Jim Niemann) (03/26/91)

What research is being done in broadband ISDN?  Is it possible to
purchase a prototype switch that supports it?

Where should I look for more info?

Thanks,

Jimmy Niemann   EDS Research   jcn@edsr.eds.com

barefoot@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Heath Roberts) (03/26/91)

In article <telecom11.240.11@eecs.nwu.edu> edsr!jcn@uunet.uu.net (Jim
Niemann) writes:

> What research is being done in broadband ISDN?  Is it possible to
> purchase a prototype switch that supports it?

By broadband ISDN, I assume you're referring to primary rate access.
Of course there's research into it, but that consists mainly of
developing applications that can make use of ISDN without being
illegal under MFJ.

What kind/size of switch were you looking for? If you want a real
switch (either CO or PBX), you can call 1-800-NORTHERN (yes, there are
one too many digits ...) and ask for information on the DMS-10/
DMS-100/SL-100.

Heath Roberts  NCSU Computer and Technologies Theme Program
barefoot@catt.ncsu.edu

whs70@taichi.bellcore.com (24460-W. H. Sohl(L145)) (03/26/91)

Niemann) writes:

> What research is being done in broadband ISDN?  Is it possible to
> purchase a prototype switch that supports it?

Bellcore (Bell Communications Research, Inc) is making plans for an
industry forum on Broadband ISDN to be hosted by US West on May 22 &
23.  For additional information on registration, etc. contact:

William Rubin, BISDN Product Manager (908-758-2167)
331 Newman Springs Road (Room 2X-421)
Red Bank, NJ 07701

or

Alan Tedesco, Dist. Mgr, BISDN Systems Engineering (908-758-5066)
Same address as above except room # 1H-258

In article <telecom11.242.8@eecs.nwu.edu> barefoot@garfield.catt.
ncsu.edu (Heath Roberts) writes:

> By broadband ISDN, I assume you're referring to primary rate access.

Broadband ISDN is a digital "pipe" significantly higher in bandwidth
than "primary rate" ISDN.

Briefly, there are three types of ISDN access:

Basic Rate: two B channels of 64 Kb each and one 16 Kb D channel used
for signaling and also capable of packet data transmission.

Primary Rate: a 1.544 megabit (DS-1 rate) access arrangement that can
be configured in different ways, but in it's most common form consists
of 23 B channels of 64 Kb each and one D channel, also at 64 Kb for
signaling.

Broadband ISDN: A digital rate significantly greater than Primary.

abhargava@uunet.uu.net (amit bhargava) (03/29/91)

edsr!jcn@uunet.uu.net (Jim Niemann) writes:

> What research is being done in broadband ISDN?  Is it possible to
> purchase a prototype switch that supports it?

If you are interested in research related information on Broadband
ISDN, I recently edited a collection of papers on the subject and that
has been published by Artech House Inc. of Norwood, MA. The title of
the publication is "Integrated Broadband Networks," order number
425474, and the toll free number of Artech house is 1-800-225-9977
ext. 4002.

I'd be happy to provide anyone who needs more information (such as
contents of the book etc.) by email. Please send me mail at the
address given below.

Also, if you're interested in standardization efforts in the United
States for Broadband ISDN, the standards body dealing with it is the
ANSI T1S1.5 comittee.

Amit Bhargava   codex!abhargava@uunet.uu.net