[comp.dcom.telecom] PacBell Blocks 950-xxxx

galen@toad.com (Galen Wolf) (03/22/91)

It used to be that it was always chancey to run into various COCOT's in
the SF Bay Area, so I'd always look for the PacBell payphones to place
my 950-0488 calling card calls, but as of a couple weeks ago, every
PacBell payphone I can find in Marin County is blocking touch-tones
after completing the connection to ITT/MetroMedia.  If I understand
correctly from reading here, this is illegal blocking of equal access,
and should be reported to the PUC, no?

galen@toad.com {amdahl,pacbell,pyramid,sun,ucsfcgl,uunet}!hoptoad!galen
(Galen Wolf, Anu, POB 2010, Sparks, NV 89432-2010)
(800)SKY-PAGE, PIN:234-0000#, your (AAA)NNN-NNNN#

[Moderator's Note: It may be some technical problem instead, so before
reporting it to the PUC, why not ask PacBell what is going on?   PAT]

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (03/25/91)

galen@toad.com (Galen Wolf) writes:

> [Moderator's Note: It may be some technical problem instead, so before
> reporting it to the PUC, why not ask PacBell what is going on?   PAT]

I would humbly like to note that when I made a similar comment about
more traditional COCOTs I was widely flamed as pandering to slimy
AOS-COCOT ripoff artists. If tactics like calling the PUC and sticking
labels on the offending phones are reasonable anywhere, they are all
the more reasonable for a phone compnay who (I must presume) would be
expected to know more about programming the things than the local
chinese take-out place.

peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com

[Moderator's Note: The difference is, we don't usually expect this
sort of response from Bell payphones ... with COCOTS it is old hat:
refused connections and outrageous prices, etc. We know complaining
about COCOTS does very little good. No so with Bell payphones.   PAT]

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (03/29/91)

> [Moderator's Note: The difference is, we don't usually expect this
> sort of response from Bell payphones ... with COCOTS it is old hat:
> refused connections and outrageous prices, etc. We know complaining
> about COCOTS does very little good. No so with Bell payphones.   PAT]

I don't know about you, but I've always found payphone prices
outrageous.  Even worse was being charged "operator assisted" rates
for using my AT&T phone card -- no operator involved. No, COCOTs are
at worst just a bigger dose of the same medicine. Plus, just because
it's a Bell phone doesn't mean it's not a COCOT.

(peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com)