[comp.dcom.telecom] What Hardware Supports Ringmate?

Bob_Frankston%Slate_Corporation@mcimail.com (Bob Frankston) (03/27/91)

Just saw an ad for Ringmate (distinctive ringing) by NET.  Looks
tempting but they claim it doesn't work on lines that hunt though it
does support call forwarding.  Does anyone know more about this?

While on the subject of distinctive ringing, what equipment supports
it?  In particular are there Fax/modem/phone switches?  Are there any
modem that report "RING n" instead of simply "RING"?

Of course, this is a prelude to what I hope will be available in ISDN,
namely an ability to pass part of the address (phone number) to the
subscriber. I already use this facility with email to get Telecom
Digest delivered directly to a separate mailbox by using MCI's MTA
protocol.  In the phone network I could then address a particular
phone, modem, fax machine or other service.

For now, distinctive ringing would provide a small subset of this
capability.

Bob_Frankston%Slate_Corporation@mcimail.com (Bob Frankston) (03/29/91)

I realize that Ringmate works with forwarding (yes, selective
forwarding would be much nicer).  The problem is with hunting -- I've
got two numbers and when the first is busy the second rings.  One
alternative would be to forward on busy -- how does forwarding compare
with hunting in terms of capabilities and other tradeoffs?  (Hunting
is free, but I think I've also got forwarding).

irvin@northstar105.dartmouth.edu (Tim Irvin) (03/30/91)

In TELECOM Digest V11 #244, Bob Frankston writes:

> Just saw an ad for Ringmate (distinctive ringing) by NET.  Looks
> tempting but they claim it doesn't work on lines that hunt though it
> does support call forwarding.  Does anyone know more about this?

Ringmate is compatible with Call Forwarding.  Actually there are two
flavors you can have set-up (at least in NET and SCB areas).  The
first choice is when your forward your calls, both the Main and RM
numbers will be forwarded.  The other flavor is that only the Main
number gets forwarded, while the RM number rings as usual.  This is
set-up when you order (either RM or Call Forwarding) and cannot be
changed on-the-fly.

Actually, I would prefer an additional option: Forward the RM number
but allow the Main number to ring through.  Since I only give my RM
number to people I know.  I would not mind paying occational LD
charges for them to reach me, and the rest of the world would simply
fall through to my answering machine.  Obviously the work around is to
list my RM number, unlist my main number and give main # to friends.
However, Main-listed/RM-unlisted is free, while Main-unlisted/RM-
listed is charged as an unlisted line.

Something else about RM compatibility:

In BELLSouth land they have a service called "Single-Line Prestige"
which includes: Call Hold (flash-*9), Call Transfer (flash, number,
hang-up), and Call Pick-up (#3 [must be another "S-L P" phone in the
same residence]), plus regular Custom Calling Features with some
slight modifications (like Call Waiting is flash-*9 -- which allows
you to xfer the call your on before picking up the incoming one).
Anyway, I had this service, until SCB came out with Ringmate
(Ringmaster there).  Well I called to order and everything seemed fine
until two days later I got a call from a Rep.  She said that I had to
choose between RM and S-LP because they were incompatible
technologies.  Oh well, S-LP out, RM in.  I asked if she thought they
would ever be compatible - in hindsight kind of a pointless question
to ask.  Anyway she had no clue, but would let her bosses know I
wanted both.  S-LP doesn't appear to be available in NET land so I
guess the point is moot for me now.

Tim Irvin