[comp.dcom.telecom] MCI Card for Germans Includes $15 Gift

wrs@mcshh.hanse.de (SuperVisor) (03/24/91)

Since MCI now offers "Call USA" from Germany (by toll-free number
0130-0012), unlike AT&T's Calling Card, everybody can get the MCI
Card, as long as he has a MasterCard or VISA Card.  With sign up
until March 31, 1991 you will receive $15 off calls to the U.S.  The
address is: MCI International, Langstrasse 50 6450, Hanau.
Phone: 06181/252021-22-23-24   FAX: 06181/252086

Wolfgang R. Schulz, Hamburg, Germany BTX (and phone): 0405521878
Bang:     ...unido!mcshh!wrs     UUCP: wrs@mcshh.UUCP
Internet: wrs@mcshh.hanse.de     MCI:  241-2526

david@cs.uow.edu.au (David E A Wilson) (03/25/91)

wrs@mcshh.hanse.de writes:

> Since MCI now offers "Call USA" from Germany (by toll-free number
> 0130-0012), unlike AT&T's Calling Card, everybody can get the MCI
> Card, as long as he has a MasterCard or VISA Card.

As we in Australia have access to Call USA (0014 881 100) what are
MCI's rates for such a credit card call from Australia to the USA? Is
there any financial advantage over OTC's rates?

OTC	Aus->USA	Peak: A$1.60/min	Off-Peak: A$1.19/min

The above are charged in A$0.22 units.

David Wilson	Dept Comp Sci, Uni of Wollongong   david@cs.uow.edu.au

wrs@mcshh.hanse.de (Wolfgang R. Schulz) (03/26/91)

david@cs.uow.edu.au (David E A Wilson) writes:

> As we in Australia have access to Call USA (0014 881 100) what are
> MCI's rates for such a credit card call from Australia to the USA? Is
> there any financial advantage over OTC's rates?

David:

Why not just call that toll free number and ask for the rate, so it
would be easy to compare.

 From Germany this is very clear: after the third minute you start
saving using the MCI Card towards the national PTT's direct dial
rates.

For DD we pay DM 0.23 (the message unit price), which is approximatly
fifteen cents, and for a call to the U.S.A. you get 4.42 seconds for a
unit.

MCI Call USA charges a $2 basic fee, $1.68 for the first minute and
$1.03 for each additional minute.

If you take your calculator, you will see that in the third minute
both charges are the same, for shorter calls, DD is cheaper, for
longer calls MCI becomes more and more cheaper. I bet it will be the
same in Australia.

Wolfgang R. Schulz, Hamburg, Germany   BTX (and phone): 0405521878
Bang:     ...unido!mcshh!wrs           UUCP: wrs@mcshh.UUCP
Internet: wrs@mcshh.hanse.de           MCI:  241-2526

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert 26-Mar-1991 0003) (03/26/91)

Two observations on this:

With the per-minute rate that MCI charges at a little over a dollar a
minute and the Bundespost's rate at a little over twice that, anyone
in Germany who occasionally calls the U.S. should get one of these
cards.  The way you would use it would be to direct dial to see if the
person you want to talk to is there and available for more than three
minutes (something you can probably do in about three or four DM 0.23
units / 13-17 seconds) and then call back via MCI Call USA.  This is
how I use AT&T's USA Direct service when I'm travelling overseas.

But issuing MCI cards to German nationals is likely to upset the
Deutsche Bundespost.  The CCITT Recommendations on international call
charging mention that unequal rates in opposite directions are
undesirable, and actually imply that the higher rate of the two is the
preferable one!  The DBP could increase its charges for terminating
traffic in order to retaliate for this effort by MCI to let Germans
bypass the high German telephone rates which are, in effect, a tax,
subsidizing other government services run by the Post Office.

AT&T, the last I checked, would only issue cards to people living
overseas if they were U.S. citizens, probably precisely in order to
avoid annoying the telephone administrations of foreign governments
with which they want to do business.

john

wrs@mcshh.hanse.de (Wolfgang R. Schulz) (03/30/91)

Since MCI offers "Call USA" from Germany too now (by toll-free number
0130-0012), unlike AT&T's Calling Card, everybody can get the MCI
Card, as long as he has a MasterCard or VISA Card.  With Signup's
until March 31st 1991 you will receive $15 off calls to the U.S.