[comp.dcom.telecom] 8-Party and 10-Party Ringing in the Bell System

larry@uunet.uu.net (Larry Lippman) (03/30/91)

In article <telecom11.247.1@eecs.nwu.edu> 0004133373@mcimail.com (Donald E. Kimberlin) writes:

> Needless, to say, you could often
> hear your ringer click or buzz when another party's frequency sailed
> down the line, anyway!

	I was told by a WECo engineer some years ago that the above was
the reason why the [late, great] Bell System felt that frequency-selective
ringing was "inelegant".  Since the WECo method of polarity-controlled
superimposed ringing to ground provided four selective ringing codes,
and the frequency-selective methods provided only one more code, Bell
felt that their method - which required no tuned ringers and had little
propensity for bell tapping when used with the 425A and 426A cold
cathode electron tubes - was the optimum choice.

>         Unanswered to my satisfaction is that Bell employees many
> times over the years told me that "Bell companies had 8-party service,
> too," but they were always evasive about *how* 8 parties could be rung
> with only 20 Hertz.  And, I personally did some work replacing WECo
> 350/355 CDO's in rural Mississippi last year, to hear these stories
> proliferated.  Yet, the old CDO's there had no evidence of ever having
> had anything but 20 Hertz ringing generators.

	You must bear in mind that the WECo 8-party method is a
semi-selective method involving four "electrical" codes and two
ringing "cadence" codes, for a total of eight codes.  The ringing
supply was solely 20 Hz.  There was really no "secret" nor any
reason for anyone to have been "evasive".

>         So, my question to this forum, where someone certainly knows,
> is *how* did Bell accomplish 8- party ringing if they used only one
> frequency?  Or, is it one of those bits of lore that had some truth
> someplace where perhaps Bell had acquired an Independent using
> frequency-selective ringing ... and then got the story embellished
> with retelling and retelling?

	It's not at all a bit of lore.  While it is indeed true that
the Bell System maintained a wide diversity of non-WECo CO apparatus
in telephone companies which they had acquired, this has little bearing
upon the present discussion.

>         So far, I never met anyone who could tell me just *how* Bell
> did eight-party with WECo-built apparatus. (No weasel stories now,
> about apparatus WECo bought, resold and installed in some places.  I
> know they'd do that if they had to!)

	You have now met (electronically, at least) such a person. :-)

	My WECo experience in multi-party lines was limited to SxS, so
that's what I will tell you about.

	There were *many* WECo SxS connectors that supported multi-party
ringing.  An example is the connector per SD-30862-01.  I quote from the
CD-30862-01 circuit description: "This circuit is used for extending a
call from a toll or local selector to a subscriber line of either an
8-party semi-selective ringing rural line group or a 10-party 3-code
ringing line group".  This connector was used in No. 1, No. 350A and
No. 355A SxS CO's.

	As previously discussed, WECo provided 4-party full selective
ringing using either positive or negative battery superimposed upon
ringing from tip-to-ground or ring-to-ground, summarized as:

PARTY 1		negative superimposed battery	ring lead to ground
PARTY 2		negative superimposed battery	tip lead to ground
PARTY 3		positive superimposed battery	ring lead to ground
PARTY 4		positive superimposed battery	tip lead to ground

	The party code number is an *absolute* number which corresponds
to the precise condition above.  The party code number was used in
plant records and apparatus drawings.  There is actually some rhyme
and reason to the numbering, which I'm certain astute readers will
notice.

	Eight parties could be achieved by using coded ringing; i.e.,
the parties 1 to 4 used the above scheme with a "one-long" ringing
cadence, and parties 5 to 8 used the above scheme with a "two-short"
cadence.  This meant that a given telephone set rang for two of eight
possible parties.

	By adding a third ringing cadence, 10 parties could be signaled
(note reference to 10-party ringing in above quoted CD section).

	The differences between multi-party connectors and regular
connectors were comparatively minor, and included: (1) provision for
a ringing synchronization lead "PKU" which assured that ringing was
started at a precise time so that a false, partial cadence would not
be sent; and (2) greater flexibility in ringing control and ring-trip
relay wiring options to accommodate the variations in polarity.

	Multi-party ringing in a WECo SxS CO was set up so that two
connector shelves of 100 numbers each were required, resulting in a
commitment of 200 directory numbers.  One shelf had the connectors
wired for tip-party ringing, and the other shelf had the connectors
wired for ring-party ringing.  The SxS connector wiper had 4 contacts:
the standard tip, ring, sleeve, plus a fourth "A-lead" for ringing
selection.  On the connector bank multiple wiring block, the A-terminal
corresponding to each directory number was strapped to one of five
terminals: (1) resistance ground interrupted with a "one-long" cadence
to provide negative superimposed battery; (2) resistance ground
interrupted with a "two-short" cadence to provide negative superimposed
battery; (3) resistance ground interrupted with a "three-short" cadence
to provide negative superimposed battery; (4) solid ground interrupted
with a "one-long" cadence to provide positive superimposed battery; and
(5) solid ground interrupted with a "two-short" cadence to provide
positive superimposed battery.

	While the above scheme was the most common for implementation
of 8-party and 10-party lines in a WECo SxS office, it was not the
only method.  The WECo 35-E-97 (actually modified Automatic Electric
Company apparatus) SxS CO used a connector per SD-30909-01 which
accepted and decoded an *additional* digit to select one of ten
possible ringing codes.  These ten codes corresponded to the same ten
possibilities outlined above.

	So, now you know how the [late, great] Bell System did 8-party
and 10-party semi-selective ringing.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231       {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635   [note: ub=acsu.buffalo.edu] uunet!/      \aerion!larry