[comp.dcom.telecom] Lorain Products Co. and More on Telephone Power Plants

DAN@gacvx2.gac.edu (Dan Boehlke) (03/31/91)

In article <telecom11.257.2@eecs.nwu.edu>, kitty!larry@uunet.uu.net
(Larry Lippman) writes:

> 	A truly scary experience is to move a piece of old RH or RHW
> rubber-insulated power feeder cable, watch both the outer insulation
> and the rubber flake into dust, and see exposed conductor within a
> fraction of an inch of grounded metal!  I could never understand
> why WECo continued to use potentially unstable rubber-insulated
> power cable for almost forty years after far superior plastic
> insulation was available following World War II.

It is my understanding that good real rubber products resist acid
better than even most of today's plastics.  Acid resistance would be
very important arround batteries.

Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet
Gustavus Adolphus College
St. Peter, MN 56082 USA        Phone:     (507)933-7596