[comp.dcom.telecom] An HONEST PacBell Survey About CLID

root@surya.uucp (The unknown Florentine) (03/29/91)

A few days ago I received a call from a survey firm asking me if I
would be willing to fill out a survey if they sent it to me with a
check for $5 (sound somewhat familiar?)  They said PacBell had hired
them (a marketing firm) to do this survey.

I actually agreed to do this, figuring I would actually be getting a
check that authorized me to be slammed, and a hokey survey extolling a
LD carrier.

Well I was wrong.  They sent a survey mostly about CLID and a few
other potential services and a crisp clean $5 bill.

Now the survey asks a lot of questions about where I buy telecom
products and, in various fashions about what I would think about
buying a CLID phone from Pacbell, leasing it from PACBELL, or buying a
"Pacbell CERTIFIED or APPROVED phone" elsewhere.

{I thought that the Bells could no longer do that type of business.}

The phones were all in the $100 - 180 price range, the separate CLID
boxes were $40 - 60.

They also ask some questions that I thought were none of their damned
business, and told them so.

It was also interesting to note that the poll (and the "informative
brochure") did not mention CLID blocking or BLocked Call blocking.
Sounds like PACBELL has no intent to provide these.

oberman@ptavv.llnl.gov (04/01/91)

In article <telecom11.255.10@eecs.nwu.edu>, root@surya.uucp (The
unknown Florentine) writes:

> It was also interesting to note that the poll (and the "informative
> brochure") did not mention CLID blocking or BLocked Call blocking.
> Sounds like PACBELL has no intent to provide these.

No, Pac*Bell has no reason to ask. California state law requires that
CLID blocking be available. So why bother asking?

Actually, there is one valid question--total blocking or per-call
blocking.  Pac*Bell wants per call while several "consumer" groups
want total blocking. So it's not whether to block CLID, but how.

R. Kevin Oberman		  Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov	  (415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.