[comp.dcom.telecom] Slam Your Friends!

ho@hoss.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (04/01/91)

In <telecom11.258.8@eecs.nwu.edu> acf5!whitejon@cmcl2.nyu.edu
(jonathan white) writes:

[MCI's account information line]

> [Moderator's Note: I just now tried the above number, and not only
> does the automated system discuss 'your' existing MCI account and
> balance, it also allows you to convert 'your' line to MCI One Plus
> service if desired. So, I converted several of you to MCI as your
> primary carrier while I was there. :)  ha ha!    PAT]

Waitjustaminnitbuster.  Are you saying that by calling this number,
someone can arbitrarily cause 'his or her' (read: ANY) line to be
slammed?

Time to call the phone company and see if we can get slam protection
here.  (Is 'slam' an 'official' word, or did c.d.telecom just adopt it
as an apt description?)

(Or was I swallowed up in a Moderator joke?  Hmmm...)

Michael Ho, University of Nebraska    Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu
Disclaimer:  Views expressed within are purely personal and should not be
	     applied to any university agency.

[Moderator's Note: No, it was not a joke. Well, the part about
converting you over to MCI was, but not the part about being able to
do it. One of the menu choices given was 'to set up your phone with
one plus dialing' ... and I am sure they did not mean with AT&T as the
default carrier!    PAT]