[comp.dcom.telecom] Internet<->Envoy 100 Gateway - Instructions.

ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen) (03/29/91)

Phil Trubey (phil@shl.com) of SHL Systemhouse Inc. in Ottawa was kind
enough to post the following instructions about exchanging e-mail
between the Internet and Telecom Canada's Envoy 100 service. (Telecom
Canada is an association of Canada's major telephone companies, the
largest of which is Bell Canada.)

 * forwarding a message originally from phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey)

Due to the fairly large number of requests for this info, I've decided
to post the following info.  I've used it a couple of times and it
seems to work.

To reach someone with an Envoy account, send your message with the
following address in the "To:" field:

     /ID=envoy_id/S=last_name/G=first_name/I=F/SITE=TELECOM.CANADA/
     @GEMINI.ARC.NASA.GOV

For example, if you want to send a message to Peter Jones, whose
Envoy ID is "p.jones", send to the following address:

     /ID=P.JONES/S=JONES/G=PETER/I=F/SITE=TELECOM.CANADA/
     @GEMINI.ARC.NASA.GOV

NOTE!

1)   The address line must be all capital letters.

2)   This is actually one long line.  It is broken into two lines
     in these examples so it will fit within 80 characters.

3)   The person receiving the message pays for BOTH the cost of
     sending the message and receiving the message.

As you can see, Envoy addresses tend to be very long.  You may want to
use some of the advanced features of your mail program to save the
addresses of people you frequently send to.  For example, the Popmail
mailer provided with NSTN has a "Group" menu that lets you save the
addresses of one or more people, and mail to them by picking a
selection off a menu.

How can people mail to me from Envoy?

To mail to you, they must do two things:

1)    Send their Envoy message to the following address:

          [INTERNETMAIL@NASA]NASAMAIL/TELEMAIL/US

2)   The first line of text in their message must be:

          To: your_user_id@your_address

     For example, if your user ID is "jsmith" and you address is
     "fox.nstn.ns.ca", the first line of the message would be:

          To: jsmith@fox.nstn.ns.ca

Phil Trubey                 |  Internet: phil@shl.com
SHL Systemhouse Inc.        |  UUCP:     ...!uunet!shl!phil
50 O'Connor St., Suite 501  |  Phone:    613-236-6604 x667
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada     |  Fax:      613-236-2043

Nigel Allen <ndallen@contact.uucp> (04/04/91)

Forwarded from newsgroups can.general and can.uucp.  Any questions
should be directed to the original poster, smd@lsuc.on.ca (Sean
Doran).

  From: smd@lsuc.on.ca (Sean Doran)
  Subject: Re: Internet<->Envoy 100 Gateway - Instructions.

In an article (Message-Id: <1991Apr1.200044.8839@eci386.uucp>),
woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) wrote:

Agreed, although the damage done was in can.general, and this probably
also belongs there.

Trubey) writes:

>> to post the following info.  I've used it a couple of times and it
>> seems to work.

The fact that this gateway is known at all is generally my fault (I
"discovered" that the NASAMAIL <-> Internet gateway could also handle
Envoy 100 traffic, and brought it to the attention of the NASAMAIL
people and to Telecom Canada.  The latter don't care (or understand)
while the former is edgy that there are so few controls on the
gateway's use, and I expect that wide knowledge of the gateway could
lead to overuse or misuse of it.  Either of those two problems will
force NASA to stop mail travelling to Telecom Canada from the gateway,
just like Sprint Mail did.

However, the normal variety of shortish Internet-acceptable mail
(excluding mailing lists and UUENCODED anything) is generally
considered OK.

>> To reach someone with an Envoy account, send your message with the
>> following address in the "To:" field:

>>      /ID=envoy_id/S=last_name/G=first_name/I=F/SITE=TELECOM.CANADA/
>>      @GEMINI.ARC.NASA.GOV

Neither the GivenName field nor the Initial field is necessary, and
the Surname field need not always correspond to reality.  For example,
my signature records the ICS.TEST/ICS.BOARD/ICS.USER.GROUP account,
which is my 'home' on Envoy 100.

> This looks like some form of X.400 address.

It is a NASAMAIL address, and NASAMAIL is a PRMD within the
SprintMail/TELEMAIL ADMD.  Both NASAMAIL and TELEMAIL use a mutant
X.400(84) MTA, and Telecom Canada uses an old but real X.400(84) MTA.
Neither Telecom nor TELEMAIL are presently reachable from COSINE, RARE
or the other "Experimental" X.400 "networks" that can speak to the
Internet.

> We have had
> mail bounce when sending to gateways into Banyan systems, because
> Banyan Id's have '@'s in them (i.e. "/ID=xyz@dept@corp").  I have not
> yet experimented with possible ways of quoting the mailbox field.

See RFC 987 et prec, the various lists like mhsnews or talk to Steve
Kille at UCL.  "Quoting" of non PrintableString characters is
commonplace, and can be done through the NASAMAIL gateway using
standard RFC 987 encodings.

>> 1)    Send their Envoy message to the following address:

>>           [INTERNETMAIL@NASA]NASAMAIL/TELEMAIL/US

No.  It's [Internet Mail@NASA]NASAMAIL/TELEMAIL/US.  The "Internet"
part is the Given Name, and is optional.  Using the one word will
cause an expensive (ca. 45 cents U.S. per kilocharacter, with at least
one unit) bounce to you and to the gateway's Admin.

> So, does NASA pay for this gateway, or are the charges propogated back
> to the Envoy user?

Both.  CCITT-regulated commercial X.400 traffic is billed to the
originator.  Therefore, sending mail outbound from Envoy via the
NASAMAIL, ATTMAIL or SprintMail gateways costs only the Envoy user.
Inbound traffic to Envoy from the Internet via the NASAMAIL gateway is
paid for by NASA, with a grant from the U.S. National Science
Foundation.  All traffic must meet "acceptable purpose" guidelines set
out by the NSF, and anything else is in violation of both American and
Canadian Law.

That means that if you send "commercial" or generally non-research-
related material through the Gateway, and you are caught, you will be
talked to by both Nasamail and Telecom Canada.  Given the amount of
money that NASA is spending on the Gateway, and given that it is
generally meant to be a gateway exclusively between the Internet and
the NASAMAIL PRMD, I think the restrictions are reasonable, and urge
you to respect it.

If you are using the gateway and want to make sure that what you are
sending through it to Envoy is OK, ask postmaster@gemini.arc.nasa.gov
_before_ you send it.

> If this gateway was actually run by Telemail or Telecom Canada, I
> would expect something smarter that could look up envoy_id's from the
> user's full name, just the same as smail can with fullnames.

The Gateway is run by NASA and the NSF.  The gateway between
SprintMail's and Telecom Canada's ADMDs does not follow CCITT specs,
and has difficulty with Probe MPDUs, PN lookups and so forth.

> Any other way, IMHO, is just a hack!

Envoy 100 is just a hack.  The gateway is certainly a hack, and an
ugly one.  (It is loosely based on the CMR, which is described in an
RFC.)  The fact that the gateway can be used to send Internet messages
to and from Envoy 100 is a BUG, not a feature, and will be squashed if
it causes problems.

>> 2)   The first line of text in their message must be:

>>           To: your_user_id@your_address

> Ah-ha!  Hand-crafting the essential part of the RFC-822 header!

Exactly.  The To: line is fully RFC-822, and can handle anything that
the average sendmail can, including multiple recipients on multiple
lines.

Sean Doran <smd@lsuc.ON.CA>  The Law Society of Upper Canada
also seand@ziebmef.mef.org   Young Liberals of Canada/Parti Liberal du Canada
and  /C=CANADA/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/ID=ICS.TEST/S=TESTGROUP/@nasamail.nasa.gov