[comp.dcom.telecom] Can Someone Please Help us in SO-Cal GTE-Land

ronnie@sos.com (Ron Schnell) (03/29/91)

Recently GTE converted our C.O. to a "much more advanced and improved
digital switch", according to a letter sent to all customers (I assume
it was 5ESS or similar).  However, since this "improvement", I have
noticed several degradations.

What I would really like is some advice on the best way to take these
complaints to GTE.  Especially since they are highly technical
compared to what most business office reps could understand.  Perhaps
someone reading this Digest knows of these problems and some reference
number I could quote to the right person.  Anyway, here they are:

1. Three-way calling - When I flash and dial the third party, I
   can't flash back right away.  I have to wait almost until the
   line starts ringing.  With the old switch, I could flash back
   immediately after dialing the last digit.  If I try that now,
   I have to do it all over again.

2. Three-way calling - THIS IS THE WORST PART OF THE WHOLE THING -
   During three-way calls, the line suddenly becomes one-way.  Two
   people can't talk at the same time anymore.  I can't even talk
   with the second party while the third party's phone is ringing.
   THIS PROBLEM EXISTS AT ALL TIMES, INCLUDING WHEN ALL PARTIES ARE
   LOCAL!

3. Flashing in general - It seems like flashing the switchook is
   much less dependable since the change.  I don't think it is just
   the timing either ... sometimes it seems to work, and sometimes it
   doesn't.

4. Infinite Dialtone - Sometimes I get a dialtone that won't go
   away.  Touchtoning won't stop it, and I have to hang up for
   at least five seconds to get one that will work.  This is pretty
   rare, though.

I appreciate any help anyone can give.  I dread trying to bring these
things to GTE's attention.  I can hear it now: "We can send a
repairman to your apartment sir, but if the problem turns out to be in
your phone instrument ..."  I'm tempted to move three blocks west so
that I can be in PacBell land, but who knows, the problem might be
there too.

Ron   (ronnie@sos.com)

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (04/01/91)

Ron Schnell <ronnie@sos.com> writes:

> Recently GTE converted our C.O. to a "much more advanced and improved
> digital switch", according to a letter sent to all customers (I assume
> it was 5ESS or similar).  However, since this "improvement", I have
> noticed several degradations.

The switch you describe is none other than an Automatic Electric
GTD-5, probably the worst affliction to ever plague the telecom
industry. It is (by modern standards) featureless, had been virtually
abondoned by the manufacturer (for good reason), and has the worst
feature implementation of any digital switch on the planet. For some
reason, GTE droids always refer to that switch as "advanced".

The last time I quite properly badmouthed the GTD-5, I got some flack
from GTE types about how it was really a wonderful switch with all
kinds of capabilities. All of that is total rubbish; the switch IS
garbage. It has software and hardware deficiencies that render it only
suitable for GTE CO service (since GTE couldn't care less about its
level of service in the first place). It does not have, nor will it
ever have ISDN, CLASS, or any other advanced features.

The three-way calling problem you describe simply indicates that GTE
did not think you were worth ordering the advanced conference bridge
and that you would put up with the standard pathetic digital
three-way.

> What I would really like is some advice on the best way to take these
> complaints to GTE.  Especially since they are highly technical
> compared to what most business office reps could understand.

Sorry, you are out of luck. First off, GTE will cancel your first
three trouble reports as "resolved" to make its report to the PUC look
good.  Second, since GTE could not care less about customer
satisfaction, you will be told, in essence, to take a hike.

> 1. Three-way calling - When I flash and dial the third party, I
>    can't flash back right away.

Inherent in the switch; nothing can be done.

> 2. Three-way calling - THIS IS THE WORST PART OF THE WHOLE THING -
>    During three-way calls, the line suddenly becomes one-way.

This is the digital conferencing. It COULD be solved, but would
require the installation of a hardware/software pack. Remember, you
are dealing with GTE.

> 3. Flashing in general - It seems like flashing the switchook is
>    much less dependable since the change.

Again, inherent in the switch.

> 4. Infinite Dialtone - Sometimes I get a dialtone that won't go
>    away.

This is a hardware malfunction. It can be fixed, but good luck trying
to get GTE to do anything about it.

> I dread trying to bring these things to GTE's attention.

You should. My opinions on Pac*Bell notwithstanding, you stand a much
greater chance of having it all work if you moved into PB territory.
Pac*Bell may have thin feature offerings, but what it has seems to
work perfectly.

 From the GTE Definitions Handbook:

reorder -- What you typically get after dialing most numbers from a
GTE telephone.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

wright@ais.org (Carl Wright) (04/04/91)

Notwithstanding John Higdon's certainty that you will get your problem
reports marked "resolved" with no actual solution, report them on the
phone and then report them in writing.

If John ends up being right, call the CPUC (California Public
Utilities Commission) and also write them. The information is below.

CPUC President - G. Mitchell Wilk 415-557-2444
Commissioners are:
  Norman Shumway 415-557-1407
  Patricia Eckert 415-557-3700
  John B. Ohanian 415-557-2440
  Danel Fessler 916-752-2896
Division of Ratepayer Advocates
  John Leutza 415-557-1272
Commission Advisory & Compliance Division
  S. Robert Weissman 415-557-2558

The address is:
CPUC
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
415-557-0647

Carl Wright                     | Lynn-Arthur Associates, Inc.
Internet: wright@ais.org        | 2350 Green Rd., #160
Voice: 1 313 995 5590 EST       | Ann Arbor, MI 48105