[comp.dcom.telecom] Eight-Party and Ten-Party Ringing in the Bell System

Nigel Allen <ndallen@contact.uucp> (04/05/91)

Larry Lippman writes in telecom11.257.1:

> It's not at all a bit of lore.  While it is indeed true that
> the Bell System maintained a wide diversity of non-WECo CO
> apparatus in telephone companies which they had acquired, this
> has little bearing upon the present discussion.

I thought that the Bell System stopped taking over independent
telephone companies in 1913 or so, pursuant to something called the
Kingsbury Commitment, essentially a letter from an AT&T executive or
lawyer named Kingsbury to the anti-trust officials of the U.S. Justice
Department.

Were there exceptions to this rule that allowed the Bell System to
continue to acquire independent telcos, or am I just confused?

In Canada, most small telephone companies were eventually swallowed up
by Bell Canada or one of the other large telephone companies, so that
several provinces only have a single telephone company.

Nigel Allen   ndallen@contact.uucp

[Moderator's Note: There have been various court cases involving AT&T
over the years, and there was one case (I forget the year) which said
AT&T could not buy any more independent telcos except under certain
strict conditions: if the independent telco was bankrupt or otherwise
unable to provide service and about to suspend operations then AT&T
*had* to take over ... nice fair arrangement, eh?  About twenty years
ago, the Chicago City Council was trying to talk IBT into purchasing
the Chicago portion of Centel, a mostly suburban telco serving only a
tiny slice of Chicago on the northwest side. IBT was inclined to do
so, but the earlier court ruling forbade it.    PAT]