[comp.dcom.telecom] Request For In-Line Speed Dialer Information

konstan@elmer-fudd.berkeley.edu (Joe Konstan) (03/29/91)

I remember reading about some of the Demon Dialers of yesteryear and I
was wondering what is still available today.  Specifically, I'd like:

1.  Something that can take relatively long speed dial codes from any
phone on the line (e.g., *MOM, *BOB, ...) and dial out the appropriate
number.

2.  Redial until not busy and then ring me back would be nice, but not
essential.

3.  I can live with hard-to-reprogram systems and systems that only
handle tones but I need to be able to install this in an apartment
(can't attack the wiring in the walls).

4.  It would be nice to have features to automatically handle prefixes
and calling card numbers, but having each speed dial number handle up
to 32 digits (with pauses) would be fine too.

I've checked local places with no luck.  Any ideas?

Joe Konstan

sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) (03/30/91)

konstan@elmer-fudd.berkeley.edu (Joe Konstan) writes:

> I remember reading about some of the Demon Dialers of yesteryear and I
> was wondering what is still available today.  Specifically, I'd like:

Zoom Telephonics in the Boston, Ma. area are still in business.  They
made probably the best "Demon dialler".

I don't have the telephone number, but you should be able to find them
through area 617 information.

Steve Pershing, System Administrator

The QUESTOR Project: FREE Usenet News/Internet Mail; Sci, Med, AIDS, more
Internet: sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca     : POST: 1027 Davie Street,  Box 486
Phones:   Voice/FAX:  +1 604 682 6659 :       Vancouver, British Columbia
          Data/BBS:   +1 604 681 0670 :       Canada  V6E 4L2

sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) (03/30/91)

konstan@elmer-fudd.berkeley.edu (Joe Konstan) writes:

> I remember reading about some of the Demon Dialers of yesteryear and I
> was wondering what is still available today.  Specifically, I'd like:

Zoom Telephonics in the Boston, Ma. area are still in business.  They
made probably the best "Demon Dialer".

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (03/31/91)

In article <telecom11.256.3@eecs.nwu.edu> sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca
(Steve Pershing) writes:

>konstan@elmer-fudd.berkeley.edu (Joe Konstan) writes:

>> I remember reading about some of the Demon Dialers of yesteryear and I
>> was wondering what is still available today.  Specifically, I'd like:

> Zoom Telephonics in the Boston, Ma. area are still in business.  They
> made probably the best "Demon Dialer".

  My Graybar Telecommunications catalog list them as catalog numbers
#176T (176 number capacity) and #93T (93 numbers) on page 1-51.
Includes a number of other capabilities I won't copy here. (Email if
necessary). It's 1A2, key-system, touch-tone compatible. I think the
prices were about $80 and $110 when I last checked.

macy@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> (04/05/91)

konstan@elmer-fudd.berkeley.edu (Joe Konstan) writes:

> I remember reading about some of the Demon Dialers of yesteryear and I
> was wondering what is still available today.

These are commonly available used now.  Seems as though a lot of them
were installed behind 1A2 systems that have now beem removed from
service.

Several brokers list them for $10-20 each.  Be sure you get the power
transformer with it.  You might also want replacement priviledges ...
Demon Dialers could be damaged by lightning comparatively easily in
many cases.

I just had two older ones I've had for years zapped.  Guess I should
take my own advice and put high speed solid state protection on my
phone lines ... even three element gas tubes don't always cut it.

For a listing of used equipment brokers, your best source is "Telecom
Gear" listings.  Last time I checked, you could still call
1-800-LIBRARY and get put on the list if you acted like a telecom
equipment seller/user.  (This is the number for Telecom Library ... and
the publishers of Teleconnect, LAN, Inbound/Outbound magazines and
other items of interest)

(Be sure to ask them to send you a book list, too, when you call ...
Harry and Jerry stock some decent titles ... and those guys are fun at
a party, too.)

Anybody have any used Mitel Smart One dialers they'd like to sell cheap?

Macy M. Hallock, Jr. macy@fmsystm.UUCP
macy@NCoast.ORG uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy