[comp.dcom.telecom] The Plan: 1+Own-NPA+7D or Just 7D -- Depends on Where You Are

covert@covert.enet.dec.com (John R. Covert) (04/01/91)

Dave Levenson wrote:

> The plan is to use seven digits for all intra-NPA calls, and 1 + ten
> digits for all inter-NPA calls.  No timeouts, no ambiguity, and no
> sure way to tell the difference between local and toll calls intra-NPA.

We call this "The New Jersey Plan", because New Jersey never had 1 + 7D
within the area code.  It was the Bellcore recommended plan, but it
met with objections all over the country.  All of the following places
have, within the past few years, either gone to or announced 1 + 10D
within the NPA:

    Dallas-Fort Worth, Northern Virginia, Maryland, Toronto, Georgia,
    North Carolina, Alabama, San Antonio, Detroit, Arizona

Philadelphia dropped the "1", but it is a relatively small area code,
close enough to New Jersey to have been able to get away with the New
Jersey plan.

Arizona announced 7D, and had so many objections they changed to 1 +
10D.  Here in Massachusetts, dropping 1+ has been mentioned, but it
hasn't been mentioned loudly and definitely enough yet to attract
attention.  In 508, 7D couldn't happen until the SxS exchanges, of
which there are still a large number, are all gone.

The Washington, DC, area has the best plan: 7D is local within your
own NPA (whether that be 202, 703, or 301); 10D is local to one of the
other two NPAs; and 1 + 10D is toll, either within your own NPA or to
one of the other NPAs.  1 + 10D is accepted for local calls to other
NPAs, and the call gets routed and billed the same as if you had
dialed just 10D.

I wish that would become the nationwide plan.

Regards,

john

amb@ai.mit.edu (04/04/91)

> The Washington, DC, area has the best plan: 7D is local within your
> own NPA (whether that be 202, 703, or 301); 10D is local to one of the
> other two NPAs; and 1 + 10D is toll, either within your own NPA or to
> one of the other NPAs.  1 + 10D is accepted for local calls to other
> NPAs, and the call gets routed and billed the same as if you had
> dialed just 10D.

This will never be possible in at least one place -- the 516 NPA is
within the LATA from the 212 NPA, and a call carried by NY Tel.
Dialing without the 1+, however, would lead to some sort of time-out
scheme to decide whether one was dialing 516 as an NPA, or just the
212-516 exchange in 212.  From 212, incidentally, all out-of-NPA calls
are dialed 1+, and all 0+ calls, even within 212, are dialed 0+212+7d.
Talk about a full NPA ...

Andrew Boardman   amb@ai.mit.edu

Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@brl.mil> (04/05/91)

When it was announced in this Digest that 215 area (which includes
Philadelphia) was going to 7D (this refers to intra-NPA long
distance), there was also a note that 412, which includes Pittsburgh,
already has such calling instructions (but 412 has no N0X/N1X that I
know of).  215 not only is near NJ, it's right next door to it!
(There are local calls between 215 and NJ, at Trenton and some points
further north.)

Since when has it become necessary to consider bringing N0X/N1X to
Massachusetts?  The 617/508 split was done only 3 years ago without
N0X/N1X being in use.

Yes, I know that many calling instructions will have to change later
to accommodate areacodes being generalized from N0X/N1X to NXX.  How
soon would this begin happening (i.e. change calling instructions for
this reason, NOT because that particular area is running short of
NNX)?  And once areacodes become NXX, would the rule still be NOT to
use N0X/N1X prefixes unless NNX prefixes started running out?

For those who haven't noticed: If your area has changed its calling
instructions to accommodate N0X/N1X prefixes, it should already be
able to accommodate NXX area codes, not just N0X/N1X area codes.