[comp.dcom.telecom] MCI Around Town Followup

konstan@elmer-fudd.berkeley.edu (Joe Konstan) (03/29/91)

Episode four in my wonderful experiences with MCI Calling Cards:

You may recall at the end of Episode 3 I had (after a 5 month delay)
been credited with the 25 cent Around Town surcharges for several
months since MCI's 800 number still touted Around Town as a
no-surcharge service.  I called back today and Around Town is now
touted as a reduced charge service.  I then speak with a rep.

1.  She didn't think Around Town was being discontinued but checked
and found out that indeed it was (for crying out loud, it's 3/28 and
I'm sure she was telling people to sign up left and right for MCI with
the Around Town benefit).

2.  She will report that the 800 number (our 800 number sir?) still
has the advertisement.

3.  She didn't know about any notices but will "make a note to ask
about it."

Oh joy!  Since Around Town is gone April 1, does anyone have the right
800 number for ITT (Metromedia, whatever) to get their calling card.
I tried once and got someone who was entirely clueless, but I think it
was the wrong 800 number.

Joe Konstan

FLINTON@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Fred E.J. Linton) (04/05/91)

service-questions 800 number *was* 1 800 221 4064 (ages ago, when they
sent me my ITT LD card).  Hope that's still valid.

Fred		<flinton@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU>

Brian Crawford <crawford@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> (04/05/91)

In article <telecom11.267.10@eecs.nwu.edu>, FLINTON@eagle.wesleyan.edu
(Fred E.J. Linton) writes:

> service-questions 800 number *was* 1 800 221 4064 (ages ago, when they
> sent me my ITT LD card).  Hope that's still valid.

When I picked up ITT calling card service three years ago, their rates
did not include a fee (monthly or per call).  In addition, their rates
were the same as the direct dial 1+ people had, and those were cheaper
than anyone I knew (ATT, MCI, Sprint, Western Union, etc.).  The
rates, if I remember for cross-country were about 12 or 13
cents/minute back then.

But, alas, the firm has been caught up in a merger/buy-out fever since
then:

ITT was bought out by some company I can remember, kept the "New
Name"-ITT.  Then, Metromedia bought them out, and it was called
Metromedia-ITT, now this month's bill dropped Metromedia completely.

Their calling card rates are now higher than their direct dial, at
18/19 cents night rate cross-country, as opposed to 12 cents/minute 1+.
Still, in comparison OK.

Did someone post an even less expensive alternative to this for
residential use?  Please pass this on, as I can't find the old message
here.

Thanks.

Brian Crawford            INTERNET (current):   crawford@enuxha.eas.asu.edu
PO Box 804                         (permanent): crawford@stjhmc.fidonet.org
Tempe, Arizona  85280     FidoNet:              1:114/15.12
USA                       Amateur:              KL7JDQ