[comp.dcom.telecom] New FCC Modem Tax?

Tad.Cook@cs.washington.edu (04/04/91)

No !!!  NOT AGAIN !!!

In article <telecom11.266.5@eecs.nwu.edu>, SABAHE@macalstr.edu (Arun
Baheti) writes:

> Does anyone have any up-to-date information on the new tax that is
> being considered?

You're KIDDING, right?  Is this urban computer legend coming back to
haunt us AGAIN?

Well, there never was a modem tax ... but just like with the phoney
rumor that the FCC is about to ban religous broadcasting, the FCC
receives LOTS of mail on it.  Funny thing ... the folks promoting this
rumor can never supply me with and NPRM (Notice of Proposed
Rulemaking) number!

Tad Cook   Seattle, WA    Packet: KT7H @ N7ENT.#WWA.WA.USA.NA
Phone: 206/527-4089    MCI Mail: 3288544    Telex: 6503288544 MCI UW
USENET:...uw-beaver!sumax!amc-gw!ssc!tad    or, tad@ssc.UUCP

Ken Abrams <kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com> (04/05/91)

Baheti) writes:

> Does anyone have any up-to-date information on the new tax that is
> being considered?

I assume that this YET ANOTHER re-hash of the proposal that died about
four years ago.  At that time, a file was being passed around on all
the major nets.  It usually began something like "I heard this on
radio station WXYZ in Los Angeles yesterday.....".

Things like this seem to NEVER die since the originator didn't put a
date in the file.  Some well meaning user stumbles across the thing
years later and starts passing it around again.  I even saw the Craig
Shergold (cards to a dying boy) story crop up again last month.

A plea to the original poster:

Please provide us a little more detail on the situation you are asking
about.  If it does turn out to be the old story making the rounds
again, please get back to your source and try to stop it.

Ken Abrams       uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell    kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield      (voice) 217-753-7965

[Moderator's Note: And my thanks to everyone who wrote to debunk this
old UL (Urban Legend) *hopefully* one last time.  No modem tax, no
surcharge, nothing.  Please! Post these messages far and wide, and
help bring a halt to this story.  PAT]

oberman@ptavv.llnl.gov (04/05/91)

Baheti) writes:

> Does anyone have any up-to-date information on the new tax that is
> being considered?

This one just won't die. Back a year or so ago the FCC considered an
increase on rates charged for X.25 lines used by Compuserve, Tymenet
and other data carriers. This class of service gets a VERY favorable
rate.

While the proposal was dropped fairly quickly, several news stories
talked about an FCC proposal to raise the rates on phone lines used
for data. Many readers (who wouldn't know about what X.25 was even if
the news story used the term) assumed that this meant modems.

An urban legend was born! Now someone sees some reference to that
proposal and the whole thing starts again. I see lots of postings on a
wide variety of newsgroups about every six months. If you doubt this,
call the FCC. They do have a listed number.

R. Kevin Oberman			Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov		(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

"Robert E. Novak" <rnovak@mips.com> (04/05/91)

Baheti) writes:

> Does anyone have any up-to-date information on the new tax that is
> being considered?

I only have negative information.  I tried the FCC Docket Information
section (202-632-7535) and asked for any docket concerning modems.
After about a ten minute wait, they said that thier database search
came up empty.

I then contacted the Common Carrier Office (202-632-6910).  The woman
I spoke to there said that they had nothing concerning modems in any
proposed Common Carrier Tariffs.

Robert E. Novak                   Mail Stop 5-10, MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!rnovak    950 DeGuigne Drive, Sunnyvale, CA  94086
rnovak@mips.COM        (rnovak%mips.COM@ames.arc.nasa.gov)    +1 408 524-7183

"Fred R. Goldstein" <goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com> (04/06/91)

In article <telecom11.266.5@eecs.nwu.edu>, SABAHE@macalstr.edu (Arun
Baheti) writes...

> Does anyone have any up-to-date information on the new tax that is
> being considered?

That's one of the worst "chain letters" in telecom.  PLEASE IGNORE IT!

To summarize: Around 1987, the Reagan FCC proposed a change in telco
billing practices that would have cost on-line services about $5/hour.
The idea drew huge protest and was dropped under strong congressional
pressure.  The Bush FCC, to the best of my knowledge, disavowed the
whole mess.

The idea keeps popping up because old messages get forwarded and
people don't keep track of the age, and 1987's news loses its date and
looks new.  That's a problem with E-mail; dates can get edited out.

Fred R. Goldstein              Digital Equipment Corp., Littleton MA
goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com   voice: +1 508 486 7388
 Do you think anyone else on the planet would share my opinions, let
 alone a multi-billion dollar corporation?