[comp.dcom.telecom] 411 Will Now Connect Call Direct

fleming@uunet.uu.net (04/05/91)

Just called local information (411) in northern Virginia.  Got a new
recording: "You may be connected to this number for an additional
charge of 30 cents.  The number is: xxx"

Nice.  Very nice.  Especially when I'm in my car trying to juggle
pencil and paper.  Should get some use.  (Disclaimer: for all I know,
NT invented this service, but *I've* never encountered it before!)

Stephen Fleming            | Internet: fleming@cup.portal.com |
Director, Strategic Mktg.  | CI$: 76354,3176    AOL: SFleming |
Northern Telecom           | BIX: srfleming     X.500:  ???   |
7900 Westpark Drive, A220  +----------------------------------|
McLean, Virginia  22102    |   Opinions expressed do not      |
(703) 847-8186             |   represent Northern Telecom.    |

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (04/06/91)

portal!cup.portal.com!fleming@uunet.uu.net (Stephen Fleming) writes:

> Just called local information (411) in northern Virginia.  Got a new
> recording: "You may be connected to this number for an additional
> charge of 30 cents.  The number is: xxx"

> Nice.  Very nice.  Especially when I'm in my car trying to juggle
> pencil and paper.  Should get some use.  (Disclaimer: for all I know,
> NT invented this service, but *I've* never encountered it before!)

That was precisely my initial reaction when I got that identical
message on my cellular phone while negotiating traffic in downtown San
Francisco. While under siege from assault taxis and attack MUNI
vehicles, it was very convenient to press one key and be connected to
the party I was calling (in this case, a restaurant to make
reservations).

But there is a side effect. Remember how telcos admonished and
implored DA callers to WRITE IT DOWN so that additional calls to DA
would not be necessary? That was back in the days of free DA. Now that
the service apparently pays its own way, why not add (at extra cost,
mind you) a little convenience feature that virtually assures future
inquiries for the same number?

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !