[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller ID RS-232 Interface Needed

gsipe@pyrite.nj.pyramid.com (George Sipe) (03/29/91)

(This may have been discussed before but...)

I'm interested in Caller ID for my home, but would want an RS-232
interface to it.  A really stupid (and cheap) interface would be great
 -- something that has no memory and simply sends the information out
the serial port (or into the bit bucket if nothing is connected or
paying it attention).

I called the number listed by BellSouth for their products and found
they have no such thing.  They suggested I try Colonial Data
Technology -- who also didn't have any such product.

Can anybody give me any pointers?  ANY RS-232 Caller ID interface
would be of interest since I've found none so far.  Thanks.

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (03/31/91)

In article <telecom11.249.6@eecs.nwu.edu>, gsipe@pyrite.nj.pyramid.com (George Sipe) writes:
> (This may have been discussed before but...)
>
> I'm interested in Caller ID for my home, but would want an RS-232
> interface to it.  A really stupid (and cheap) interface would be great
>  -- something that has no memory and simply sends the information out
> the serial port (or into the bit bucket if nothing is connected or
> paying it attention).

Try ClassMate from MHE Systems.  It is available from Bell Atlantic
Business Supplies (they have an 800 number).  For about $50 they give
you a box the size of a cigarrette pack.  It has a modular jack on one
end, and a DB-25 on the other.  You connect the modular jack to your
phone line, and the other end to an RS-232 DTE device.  The box is powered
from the Carrier-Detect and Transmit Data leads of your RS-232 device,
and it presents the caller-id information to you over its Received Data
lead.  (It looks like a simplex modem, receive-only.)  Data output is fixed
at 1200 bps, 7 data bits, with the parity bit forced to 0.

--
Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

damon@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com (Damon Schaefer) (03/31/91)

The original questioin was from a "while" ago...

I think this will catch the attention of many.  Bell Atlantic Business
Supplies is marketing a device called "CLASSMATE".  It is a device
that plugs has a RJ-11 and a DB-25 connector on it.  It converts
CallerID to Your serial port.  It comes with some software that allows
you to hook the output of the box to your favorite database (or other
application program.).

The device is priced at about $49.00 and will be shipped in about two
to three weeks.  Judging by the usefulness of this unit I would order
early...

Note for the PROGRAMMER: Please let me know about the interesting
software you write for this GEM!!

The phone number for Bell Atlantic Business Supplies: 800-523-0552

James Van Houten     POTS (301) 507-9191

0004169820@mcimail.com (Rochelle Communications) (04/04/91)

In an article which appeared in the TELECOM DIGEST V11 #249 on March
29th, 1991, George Sipe writes:

> I'm interested in Caller ID for my home, but would want an
> RS-232 interface to it... Can anybody give me any pointers?
> ANY RS-232 Caller ID interface would be of interest since I've
> found none so far.

There are two products on the market which provide a Caller ID/RS-232
interface.

The first product is ANI-232, available from Rochelle Communications
of Austin, Tex (800-542-8808). It provides Caller ID decoding
(compatible with both US and Canadian formats), ring detection, and
on-hook/off-hook indication (for call timing, and to keep track of
unanswered calls). The ANI-232 is available now and sells for $85. It
comes with a free demonstration software which displays the Caller ID
data on an IBM PC. A Developer's Package is also available for serious
developers/VARs. Rochelle has also developed a PC-based Caller ID
Telephone Line Simulator for testing and demonstration of Caller ID
products.

The second product is CLASSMATE Model 10, developed by MHE Systems
(Tustin, California), and is distributed by Bell Atlantic Business
Supplies (800-523-0552) for about $50. It is a cost effective solution
for hobbiests and developers who do not need the ring detect and
off-hook detect features. The CLASSMATE is not compatible with the
Canadian and US WEST implementations of Caller ID.

Gilbert Amine    Rochelle Communications, Inc.
gamine@mcimail.com     +1 512 794 0088

wallaced@uunet.uu.net (Donovan Wallace) (04/07/91)

There is a company in Austin that has what you're looking for.

They have a product called "Caller ID+Plus". The complete interface is
contained in a DB-25 connector housing (RS-232) and plugs into a
serial port on a PC. They also have application software for the PC.

Here's the info:

Rochelle Communications Inc
8716 N. Mopac, Suite 200
Austin, Texas 78759

Phone: (512) 794-0088
Fax:   (512) 794-9997

By the way, the interface sells for $85.

Donovan Wallace           Mitel Corp.  Kanata, Ontario  CANADA