[comp.dcom.telecom] Looking for NON-Statistical Line Multiplexers

geoff@decwrl.dec.com> (04/07/91)

I'm looking for line (two or four wire) multiplexers, that would allow
me to evenly device a 9600 bps line into to two 4800 bps lines, or a
2400 baud line into two 1200 baud lines.  I recall the good ol' Bell
209A modem used to have this capability.

I CANNOT use Stat-MUX's because its flow control (XON/XOFF/whatever)
would make the line non-transparent to the protocol(s) going over over
it.  I need to lines to appear as if they each had a dedicated circuit
of their own.

Any suggestions for such equipment appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff Goodfellow    Anterior Technology
415-328-5615   geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us

mjohnsto@uunet.uu.net> (04/07/91)

In article <telecom11.271.10@eecs.nwu.edu> fernwood!geoff@decwrl.dec.c
om (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:

> I'm looking for line (two or four wire) multiplexers, that would allow
> me to evenly device a 9600 bps line into to two 4800 bps lines, or a
> 2400 baud line into two 1200 baud lines.  I recall the good ol' Bell
> 209A modem used to have this capability.

> I CANNOT use Stat-MUX's because its flow control (XON/XOFF/whatever)
> would make the line non-transparent to the protocol(s) going over over
> it.  I need to lines to appear as if they each had a dedicated circuit
> of their own.

You *can* use Stat-MUX's or at least Micoms. The Micombox 2's we used
to use were configurable enough to where you could just disable
XON/XOFF flow control along with about a zillion other parameters. We
used about 20 of them to remote field locations. Each could be
upgraded to 16 ports apiece and all ran up to 9600 baud.

I ran into my problem when I attempted to use GNU Emacs remotely over
the multiplexed lines. As you may know Emacs doesn't like XON/XOFF *at
all*.  Never mind that I was the only person out of 80 who used Emacs.
I changed all the units over. (It's good to be the king). All of our
tubes ran fine without it. These boxes where, if I recall correctly,
four wire units and supported RTS/CTS flow control.

Michael R. Johnston	mjohnsto@shearson.com || mjohnstonn@mcimail.com
System Administrator		UUCP:     uunet!slcpi!mjohnsto
Lehman Brothers Inc.		Phone:    (212) 640-9116