[comp.dcom.telecom] 56kbps Alternatives?

mark@uunet.uu.net> (04/05/91)

My prospective employer is using a leased line for 56kbps service
between two remote offices.  I've read the blurb for UUNET's Alternet
service, and I got an e-mail note saying that PSInet offers something
similar.

Presumably either of these is much cheaper than a leased line, but
what would one be giving up by changing from a leased line to Alternet
or PSInet?  Are there any other alternative services that one should
consider?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.  I'd be especially
interested in hearing from someone who's made this switch.

Mark McWiggins		Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935		DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...
1400 112th Ave SE #202	Bellevue WA  98004
mark@intek.com

Syd Weinstein <syd@dsi.com> (04/07/91)

Mark McWiggins <intek01!mark@uunet.uu.net> writes:

> My prospective employer is using a leased line for 56kbps service
> between two remote offices.  I've read the blurb for UUNET's Alternet
> service, and I got an e-mail note saying that PSInet offers something
> similar.

> Presumably either of these is much cheaper than a leased line, but
> what would one be giving up by changing from a leased line to Alternet
> or PSInet?

Ok, as a user of a 56KB leased line to connect to PREPnet (our local
NSFnet), I don't understand something here...

If your employer has a 56KB leased line as DDS or DDS-II service
between two offices, what is he running over it?  (What protocol?)  Is
it a proprietary protocol between to multiplexers? an X.25 link?  A
TCP/IP link running SLIP?, TCP/IP running PPP? TCP/IP running
something proprietary for the link?  Straight sync data?

The thing that Alternet and PSInet sell is a TCP/IP long haul service.
You still need a 56KB leased line (or faster) to go from the local
office to the nearest Alternet/PSInet Point of Presence and from the
remote office to its nearset POP.  The only savings I can see is if
the link is long haul (remote offices are far away) and the cost of
the PSI or Alternet is cheaper than the price of the direct 56KB line.

Note, you would need a router at each end of the circuit, and the
delay time would be longer under PSInet or Alternet, as in a private
56kb the delay is just two routers, with the network in place its your
two routers + as many more as they use in making up their network.

Now there is a big gain in connectivity outsite of the two offices,
but just for a private link, its not apples and apples we are
comparing here but apples and oranges.  If you are looking at PSInet,
Alternet, et al, time to also look at all the other long haul data
networks, such as Sprintnet (nee telenet), Tymnet, Compuserve, and
many many others.

Sorry to be so long, but you are opening up an entire new direction
to explore, not just replacing a simple 56kb data circuit.

Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP       Elm Coordinator
Datacomp Systems, Inc.              Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd            FAX:   (215) 938-0235

Peter da Silva <peter@taronga.hackercorp.com> (04/07/91)

intek01!mark@uunet.uu.net (Mark McWiggins) writes:

> Presumably either of these is much cheaper than a leased line, but
> what would one be giving up by changing from a leased line to Alternet
> or PSInet?

About 46 kilobaud. Dialup service over a V.32 modem at 9600 bps
doesn't begin to keep up with a 56 kb leased line. If you're doing
UUCP, you could get an extra 6-8000 bps with a Trailblazer, but if
you're currently using a 56 kb line you're probably not doing UUCP.

peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com

"Barton F. Bruce" <Barton.Bruce@camb.com> (04/07/91)

In article <telecom11.268.12@eecs.nwu.edu>, intek01!mark@uunet.uu.net
(Mark McWiggins) writes:

> My prospective employer is using a leased line for 56kbps service
> between two remote offices.  I've read the blurb for UUNET's Alternet
> service, and I got an e-mail note saying that PSInet offers something
> similar.
> Presumably either of these is much cheaper than a leased line, but

Using Alternet or PSI get you Internet connectivity, but WILL cost you
enough monthly with the necessary telco lines that you can buy a coast
to coast DDS-II lines for less. The DDS-II line will let you put
ANYTHING ove it that fits. You can put several compressed voice
channels and assorted data. You can use an Enet bridge that includes a
compressor. You can bridge ALL the protocals on your Enet, but you
sure can't if you use the TCP/IP only PSI or Alternet.

I am not so sure PSI or Alternet do this, but NEARNET here in Boston
gets you to PAY for ALL the necessary Cisco equipment, and THEY get to
OWN it. Watch your local Internet peddler's contract carefully - That
is ~$10k you just gave away.

With two sites, go with point to point DDS-II, and play cute and order
56kb with secondary channel, get good CSU/DSUs that also do 64kb, flip
the knobs to 64 kb, and use it.

If you want internet connectivity, add it at ONE site, but beware of
contracts that may try to prohibit you from using it elsewhere or
sharing news with your UUCP dialup friends. Read the fine print in
anything PSI sends you.

FRAME RELAY is here, and I am about to post a note about it. I doubt
that for two sites it makes any sense, buy just maybe you should check
it out.

barmar@bloom-beacon.mit.edu> (04/08/91)

In article <telecom11.274.3@eecs.nwu.edu> Barton.Bruce@camb.com
(Barton F. Bruce) writes:

> I am not so sure PSI or Alternet do this, but NEARNET here in Boston
> gets you to PAY for ALL the necessary Cisco equipment, and THEY get to
> OWN it. Watch your local Internet peddler's contract carefully - That
> is ~$10k you just gave away.

It's not quite that bad.  I believe that if you cancel your NEARnet
membership the equipment you paid for is transfered to you.  NEARnet
retains ownership while you're a member so that they can consolidate
all the maintenance and management issues.

Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.
barmar@think.com   {uunet,harvard}!think!barmar