[comp.dcom.telecom] My First Month of Caller ID in Atlanta

bill%gauss@gatech.edu (bill) (03/20/91)

Well, the first month of my Caller ID service has passed and I felt
that I should pass on my observations on the matter.  It has pretty
much been as I expected.  I'll explain what has taken place.

I've noticed a fair share of what is apparently telemarketing droids
who usually call close to dinner time.  If I get an "Out-of-area" call
at dinner time, I usually let the machine pick it up.  It has usually
been the telemarketers who will call at this most inopportune time -
they generally show up as out-of-area because I'd guess they use
out-WATS to call their suckers (I mean prospects).  Some telemarketers
call locally - Sears Vinyl Siding called the other night, for example.
I told them the usual "not interested."  A fax machine tried to call
me the other night, starting at 11:00 P.M.  I let it call twice before
I blocked the number.  I don't have a fax machine - apparently someone
misdialed my number into their fax machine.

Calls from either the "A" or "B" cellular systems in Atlanta show up
as "Out-of-area."  I have found that this is because neither is hooked
up to SS-7 as yet.  Calls from the centrex here at Georgia Tech show
up as their respective numbers, 894- or 853-XXXX.  Calls that are Call
Forwarded to me show the originating, not the intermediary, phone
number (unless they are forwarded via cellular).  Calls via Southern
Bell calling card show up as "Out-of-area."  Calls placed via SB
operator show up as "Out-of-area."  Calls from PBXs show up as what
I'd guess is a trunk on the PBX or as the main number - there seems to
be no consistency on PBX numbers displayed.

An interesting note: Caller ID went out on me for a day.  I called
repair (of course) to resolve the matter.  After they got me going
again, the QA person called to ask if I was okay again.  I asked her
what caused the problem and she said that "a translator had gone out"
or some such.  Apparently, translations are kept in a database and
they are the telco's record of the services which correspond to a
particular POTS line.  Now I know something new.  My translation
should have had "Caller ID" in it, among other things.

During this first month, I have called numerous businesses for various
reasons.  I've called to order pizza, to ask the local Radio Shack for
a price or two, to ask the local Circuit City and Hi Fi Buys for
prices, you name it.  As yet, I have not been sujected to any of the
alleged horrors which some naysayers had predicted with the advent of
caller ID.  I have not been awakened at 2 A.M. to ask "Now that you
know how much the XVY color TV is, why don't you come in to get one?"
No one from Radio Shack has called me to ask why I never came by to
buy that TV antenna on sale, you know, the one you called in to ask
the price on?  The pizza place still asks me for my phone number.  And
even if a telemarketer does call, I just tell them "not interested,"
then hang up (unless the answering machine gets it first).  No
invasion of privacy here.  But then I have never been one to say that
what, at worst, is a minor inconvenience is actually AN INVASION OF MY
PRIVACY, because that's not the case by any stretch of the
imagination.

So, in it's first month on my line, it seems to me that Caller ID is
not "technology for its own sake," but is actually a handy tool.  My
privacy has not been invaded.  I've managed to surprise most of my
friends and such who call me by answering "Hello there, Joe Blow!," to
the point that they don't wonder how I know who's calling any more.
It's nice to know a little more about who's calling me.  Obviously,
"they" know my number when they call me.  Now I know theirs.  I like
that option.

If anyone has any questions for me, please reply via e-mail and I'll
do my best to answer.  I'm no Caller ID expert, just a consumer who
has come to like the service.

Bill Berbenich    Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp: ...!{backbones}!gatech!eedsp!bill   Internet: bill@eedsp.gatech.edu

Robert Jacobson <cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu> (03/21/91)

The "alleged horrors" which Bill Berbenich has not yet experienced as
a result of one month of Caller ID have to do with duration and
penetration.  The telcos commonly pass off one month tests of small
service populations as scientific surveys and are always relieved for
their customers when alleged horrors do not occur.  The point is to
wait a couple years when a few tens of millions of more people are
forced into Caller ID and the files have started being built up.  Then
let's see if the horrors happen, Bill.

Bob Jacobson

[Moderator's Note: What about in places like New Jersey, where
Caller*ID has been a reality now for about a year? Maybe one or more
of the 'veterans' of Caller*ID will write on the topic of abuses -- if
there are any -- now that this new technology has had a chance to get
established.   PAT]

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (03/22/91)

In article <telecom11.223.2@eecs.nwu.edu> Robert Jacobson <cyberoid@
milton.u.washington.edu> writes:

> The "alleged horrors" which Bill Berbenich has not yet experienced as
> a result of one month of Caller ID have to do with duration and
> penetration.  The telcos commonly pass off one month tests of small
> service populations as scientific surveys and are always relieved for
> their customers when alleged horrors do not occur.  The point is to
> wait a couple years when a few tens of millions of more people are
> forced into Caller ID and the files have started being built up.  Then
> let's see if the horrors happen, Bill.

> [Moderator's Note: What about in places like New Jersey, where
> Caller*ID has been a reality now for about a year? Maybe one or more
> of the 'veterans' of Caller*ID will write on the topic of abuses -- if
> there are any -- now that this new technology has had a chance to get
> established.   PAT]

Well, that might not be enough either. There may have to be a critical
mass of users for some effects to manifest themselves. The uses and
abuses of the service might not occur until there are enough of the
devices around to be statisitically significant and this might depend
upon a price that won't happen until the market is large enough on a
national basis. Also, some of the commercial applications might be
delayed by the fact that many potential users are parts of national
chains that might hold off until the service is more uniformly
available.  They also might be sensitive to offending their customers
over such privacy concerns for what would be a minor marketing
advantage. They are _very_ PR sensitive.

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (03/23/91)

Caller ID in New Jersey has a penetration of between three and ten
percent, hardly an appealing marketshare for those planning various
forms of universal databases based on telephone number IDs.  Combined
with the fact that New Jersey, grand as it is, does not constitute a
broad geographical or demographic market (it's only about eight
million people, of whom a third are children or retired without
means), the NJ "experiment" is far too small to engender major abuses.
What's needed is for a whole or a substantial part of an RBOC,
combining several SMAs, to go Caller ID.  Then we should see the
information brokers at work!

Bob Jacobson

TERRY@spcvxa.bitnet (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (03/24/91)

In article <telecom11.223.2@eecs.nwu.edu>, cyberoid@milton.u.
washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

> [Moderator's Note: What about in places like New Jersey, where
> Caller*ID has been a reality now for about a year? Maybe one or more
> of the 'veterans' of Caller*ID will write on the topic of abuses -- if
> there are any -- now that this new technology has had a chance to get
> established.   PAT]

  Well, I believe my employer (St. Peter's College) was the first
non-internal installation of Caller*ID. We had just converted to
Centrex from a Dimension PBX and started having problems like people
calling the main number from the corner payphone and asking "May I
have an outside line, please?". Since the Dimension consoles provided
the extension number and the Centrex attendant position didn't, there
was no way of knowing what was an inside call and what was not.  This
would have remained a minor nuisance except that the pranks were
extended to bomb threats.

  In pursuing this with the authorities (both police and telco), we
were informed of the plans for Caller*ID. We got display units (AT&T
models, not the plastic ones the telco now offers) for the main
numbers. At that time, ICLID was enabled for all Centrex lines, even
though it didn't show up in the feature set in CCRS (I believe this
was a special generic, if that makes any sense, which was loaded for
us). It also delivered the information before _each_ ring instead of
on the first ring only, as it does now.

  Somewhere along the way it was converted to a per-line basis and
first-ring only. We stopped getting the threats and other harrasment.
At this point I have ICLID enabled on my office phone, but don't have
a display box. I haven't received any more or less sales calls than
before Caller*ID was offered, and I don't recall any that were
"targeted" at me (as some suggest Caller*ID would be used by
merchants). The same is true for my home phone.

Terry Kennedy           Operations Manager, Academic Computing
terry@spcvxa.bitnet     St. Peter's College, US
terry@spcvxa.spc.edu    (201) 915-9381

dave@westmark.westmark.com (Dave Levenson) (03/27/91)

In article <telecom11.225.4@eecs.nwu.edu>, sichermn@beach.csulb.edu
(Jeff Sicherman) writes:

> In article <telecom11.223.2@eecs.nwu.edu> Robert Jacobson <cyberoid@
> milton.u.washington.edu> writes:

> > The "alleged horrors" which Bill Berbenich has not yet experienced as
> > a result of one month of Caller ID have to do with duration and
> > penetration...

> > [Moderator's Note: What about in places like New Jersey, where
> > Caller*ID has been a reality now for about a year? Maybe one or more
> > of the 'veterans' of Caller*ID will write on the topic of abuses -- if
> > there are any -- now that this new technology has had a chance to get
> > established.   PAT]

New Jersey Bell has offered Caller*ID for about three years.  I'm not
sure how many people have the display devices, but most people have
heard of the service.  They advertise it on TV!

The press has reported several times on the significant drop in the
number of harassment or obscene call complaints received by
authorities.  Does this mean that individual subscribers are taking
matters into their own hands?  Does it mean that would-be prank
callers are deciding not to call?  I don't know.  I once used it to
call back a kid who bothered me early in the morning, and haven't been
bothered since.

Abuses?  We get about the same number of telemarketing calls we used
to.  We don't get calls from merchants we called, unless we gave them
our number.  I have yet to see a retail store with a Caller*ID display
unit in use.  They seem to appeal mostly to residence subscribers.
The advertising from NJ Bell shows the service being used by
individuals at home.

I called someone at home from a customer's premises, and left my
office number as the call-back message.  He called my customer and
asked for me, apparently by looking at his Caller*ID display unit.
Since I wasn't there when he called, it only delayed him, and bothered
my customer.  Abuse?  I wouldn't call it that, would you?  The
customer knows me, and told the caller that I had been there, but that
I had left.

As a user of Caller*ID for about two years, I have found it helpful.
As one who calls others who use it, I have not found it troublesome in
any way.  Horrors?  Not in New Jersey!

Dave Levenson		Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.		UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
Warren, NJ, USA		AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave
Voice: 908 647 0900     Fax: 908 647 6857

gdw@groucho.att.com (Gordon D Woods) (03/29/91)

com (Dave Levenson):

> The press has reported several times on the significant drop in the
> number of harassment or obscene call complaints received by
> authorities.  Does this mean that individual subscribers are taking
> matters into their own hands?  Does it mean that would-be prank
> callers are deciding not to call?  I don't know.  I once used it to
> call back a kid who bothered me early in the morning, and haven't been
> bothered since.

I wonder if the reduction in complaints is actually due to the
simultaneous introduction of CALL TRACE and CALLER*ID in NJ. With CALL
TRACE you get a major advertised advantage of CALLER*ID with none of
the disadvantages. You don't even have to subscribe to CALLER*ID; just
enter *76 (I think. It's advertised) and the prankster's number is
recorded for the police. Only the police know the caller's number. I
think the prank callers have quickly learned this and reduced their
calling.

grayt@uunet.uu.net (Tom Gray) (03/29/91)

In article <telecom11.223.2@eecs.nwu.edu>  cyberoid@milton.u.
washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

> The "alleged horrors" which Bill Berbenich has not yet experienced as
> a result of one month of Caller ID have to do with duration and
> penetration.  The telcos commonly pass off one month tests of small

> wait a couple years when a few tens of millions of more people are
> forced into Caller ID and the files have started being built up.  Then
> let's see if the horrors happen, Bill.

Well, we have had Caller ID here in Ottawa for over a year now. There
are no reports of any horrors. Even the scandal a day radio and TV
programs are silent on this.

I personally have Caller ID and Call Barring. Caller ID really helps.
I can determine who is calling befroe I answer the telephone.  This
allows me to prepare my greeting. I know this may sound trivial but it
really helps a lot. You can greet a friend in a friendly manner while
calls from unknown numbers can be greeted formally. No more occurances
of waiting for a call from a friend and then being presented with a
carpet cleaning call as a surprise.

Call blocking allows at least some freedom from telemarketers.  This
service is a godsend. I look forward to the day of smart telephones
which can bar an unlimited amount of numbers. Then we will be truely
free of crank sales calls.  Even a telephone which had a time of day
feature to allow calls from friends during meal times but bar all
others.  The rest of the time let everybody through. Caller ID and
CLASS serivice give me control over my own telephone.  It allows me to
decide wheteher to permit someone into my home.  Would you ever think
of dropping in on a friend during meal times? Most peopple would
consider this the height of rudeness. How many of your meals have been
interupted by a sales call? Plenty of mine have but not so many now
that I have Call Barring.

Tom Gray

David Gast <gast@cs.ucla.edu> (04/09/91)

Robert Jacobson wrote:

> The "alleged horrors" which Bill Berbenich has not yet experienced as
> a result of one month of Caller ID have to do with duration and
> penetration.  The telcos commonly pass off one month tests of small
> service populations as scientific surveys and are always relieved for
> their customers when alleged horrors do not occur.  The point is to
> wait a couple years when a few tens of millions of more people are
> forced into Caller ID and the files have started being built up.  Then
> let's see if the horrors happen, Bill.

The Moderator moderated:

> What about in places like New Jersey, where Caller*ID has been a
> reality now for about a year?

I was at one of the CPUC Caller ID hearings.  Sure enough one of the
phone companies was there spouting off information from a small test
in rural Kentucky (this is LA!) that lasted about one month.  Of
course, when one of the people in the audience asked to see the test
questions, the test results, and the like to verify that the test
actually proved what the company said it did, he was told that the
information is not available to the public.  (It is apparently
available to participants in the formal hearings, however).

Mr Jacobson, of course, is correct.  Most businesses do not have
devices to trap the incoming phone numbers at the present time, but
per other messages "Caller ID RS-232 Interface Needed" we know that
they are available.  Additionally, the value of the information will
come as companies know not just one call, but hundreds of calls.  When
they can say "Oh, it's just Bill, he never buys, let's not answer the
phone" or "It's Sam from redlined area Y, no need to answer," etc.
Additionally, these people will not necessarily be calling you from
intra-LATA phones, so if you have been ignoring out of area calls
during dinner, you don't know if Radio Shack (or someone Radio Shacked
disseminated the information to) has been calling you.  Finally, you
should not necessarily expect that these people will only call you up,
they can also send junk mail, send you junk mail with different
prices/specials, or adjust the prices at the store.  In most respects,
you cannot know how the information about you was used.

David Gast   gast@cs.ucla.edu

[Moderator's Note: There was one thing I was mistaken about. In New
Jersey, Caller-ID has not been around a year; it has been around for
about three years. Still, no horror stories.   PAT]

Scott Alexander <salex@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov> (04/10/91)

In the latest {Unix Today}, there was an article saying that HP is
coming out with software for capturing Caller ID information.
(Unfortunately, in a fit of insanity, I threw that issue out.  Perhaps
someone else can come up with more details.)  Apparently they believe
that the availability of Caller ID is getting to the point where they
can market such a product.  I would expect to start seeing other
companies making similar offerings until there is a cheap turn-key
system for the PC.  That's when I expect the horror stories to start.

Scott Alexander    salex@devvax.jpl.nasa.gov